The Chronicle’s rundown on the 2024 North Carolina gubernatorial primary candidates

The North Carolina Executive Mansion in Raleigh, N.C.

North Carolina will hold its primary election on March 5, with the state’s gubernatorial seats at the top of the ballot. 

The election will decide the Republican and Democratic candidates, who will advance to the Nov. 5 general election. The Chronicle has you covered with a guide on the candidates and the main issues at the forefront of voters’ minds.

Democratic gubernatorial candidates

The Democratic Party has five candidates vying for a ticket to the general gubernatorial election.

Gary Foxx, former police chief of Princeville, N.C., plans to increase funding for public schools, raise the minimum wage, attract new business and implement more rigorous gun control laws while protecting the rights of responsible owners. 

Foxx’s platform also includes guaranteeing access to Medicare and Medicaid, promoting renewable energy sources and advocating for equality. Foxx “ranks school safety as a top priority once elected.” 

Michael Morgan, former associate justice of the N.C. Supreme Court, emphasizes the importance of increasing funding for public education, developing the state’s economy, addressing the root causes of crime and increasing access to affordable healthcare, including prescription drugs. 

Morgan’s platform also mentions promoting women’s rights, including access to affordable healthcare and abortion, LGBTQ+ rights, fighting climate change and defending democratic principles related to fair voting.  

North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein, the current frontrunner, is running on a platform focused on defending reproductive rights, enacting gun safety reform, defending children’s rights for an adequate public education and raising the minimum wage.

During a rally at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Stein shared with the crowd his commitment to defending reproductive and voting rights and holding corporate wrongdoers and polluters accountable for their actions.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper has endorsed Stein, noting that “he’s driven by a steadfast commitment to the people of our great state, [which is] why he’ll work to invest in students and public schools, quality health care for hardworking people, and better jobs that make life more affordable for the middle class.”

Attorney Marcus Williams previously ran for North Carolina Attorney General in 2016, but lost to Stein. If elected as governor, he says he would work towards enacting law enforcement reforms and adequately funding both the state’s court system and public school system, according to an interview with The News & Observer.

In an effort to bring new businesses and jobs to N.C., Williams shared that “high paying, clean industries” are necessary “so that the vibrancy of a robust economy can be felt [and] enjoyed throughout our urban and rural areas.”

Chrelle Booker, mayor pro tempore of Tyron, N.C., named job employment and supporting public education as hallmarks of her campaign.

Booker hopes to work towards keeping North Carolinian public schools up to pace with the “ever-evolving technological landscape” and strengthen the quality of K-12 education in the state, according to her website.

She believes that such strides can also be made through partnerships with N.C.’s higher learning institutions, as demonstrated by Carolina K-12, which “works to extend the resources of the University System to North Carolina’s K-12 educators.”

In terms of her economic development goals, she believes that “quality jobs, competitive wages and a high standard of living are essential for families who want their children to attend our schools and reside in secure neighborhoods.” This includes supporting local business and supporting entrepreneurs, small businesses, paid internships and apprenticeship programs.

Republican gubernatorial candidates

There are three Republican candidates for governor. 

Dale Folwell, a former garbage collector who worked his way up to serving as State Treasurer of North Carolina, hopes to lower healthcare costs, increase government transparency and accountability and fight crime. Folwell plans to re-enact the death penalty and create a task force to prevent fentanyl and other drugs from entering the state. 

Bill Graham is a criminal prosecutor with blue-collar roots. If elected as governor, Graham has promised to reduce taxes, allow parents to approve school curricula and create a “North Carolina Family Values Commission” to celebrate community leaders in the spirit of Ronald Reagan’s legacy.  

Graham plans to fight crime by approving a death penalty for fentanyl dealers and human traffickers and establishing a task force to combat gang violence and illegal drugs.  

North Carolina Lieutenant Gov. Mark Robinson learned the value of hard work from his mother, who provided for his family after Robinson’s abusive father died. 

Although Robinson does not mention his economic goals in his platform, his campaign website claims that he lost two jobs to the North American Free Trade Agreement, pushing him into bankruptcy. 

Robinson’s platform centerpiece is education, and he hopes to inform parents on their children’s curricula, expand apprenticeship programs and ensure school safety. 

Robinson has recently come under fire for homophobic statements, in which he stated that the LGBTQ+ community conflicted with his Christian faith. Robinson has also drawn criticism for previous antisemitic comments.

Zoe Spicer profile
Zoe Spicer | Staff Reporter

Zoe Spicer is a Trinity junior and a features managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s rundown on the 2024 North Carolina gubernatorial primary candidates” on social media.