Duke men’s basketball named No. 3 seed in West region in NCAA pre-selection show

Head coach Jon Scheyer led Duke to a No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament last season.

We are exactly one month out from Selection Sunday, and the college basketball world is already abuzz with March Madness. In a special pre-selection show, the NCAA released its current top 16 seeds for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. 

Duke checked in as the No. 12 overall seed, placing Blue Devils as the No. 3-seed in the West region, alongside Arizona, Kansas and Auburn.

The only other ACC team included was North Carolina, who came in ahead of the Blue Devils as the No. 5 overall seed and the No. 2-seed in the East region, but the Big 12 led the way with four teams among the top four seeds.

The No. 1 overall seed, Purdue, is joined by UConn, Houston and Arizona as the projected No. 1 seeds. All 12 members of the selection committee agreed on these four teams as the top seeds. Joining the Tar Heels on the No. 2 line are Tennessee, Marquette and Kansas.

Last season, Duke just missed on a top-four seed, as the Blue Devils were the No. 5-seed in the East region. The only ACC team ahead of them was Virginia, who was the No. 4-seed in the South.

Duke will have at least one more game against a top-16 opponent, as North Carolina will come to Durham March 9. The Blue Devils will also have a chance to add to their tournament resume with games on the road against Miami, Wake Forest and N.C. State.

Dom Fenoglio | Sports Managing Editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity sophomore and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men’s basketball named No. 3 seed in West region in NCAA pre-selection show” on social media.