Ways to commemorate MLK Day at Duke and in Durham

In preparation for Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Jan. 15, The Chronicle has compiled a list of ways you can commemorate the holiday at Duke and in Durham. 

Attend the MLK commemoration at Duke Chapel

On Jan. 14, Duke trustee Grant Hill, former men’s basketball star and Trinity ‘94, will deliver the keynote address at the Duke Chapel for the University’s annual MLK commemoration. The theme of the service is “Our Path to Progress: Realizing the King’s Dream of True Freedom for All.” This event, which is free and open to the public, will also be livestreamed on the University’s MLK commemoration website.

Support food banks through meal packaging

Duke’s Office of Durham and Community Affairs will organize a meal packaging event where community volunteers plan to package over 150,000 meals on Jan. 15. These meals will be distributed in Durham, Orange, Wake and Johnston Counties through the Interfaith Food Shuttle. 

Contribute to a book drive

Book Harvest, a non-profit organization that promotes literacy by providing books to children in need, is conducting a book drive in celebration of MLK Day. The drive will take place on Jan. 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Golden Belt Campus on 800 Taylor Street. The event offers free books for children and other activities.

Celebrate King’s legacy through the arts

Durham Parks and Recreation is hosting an event called, “MLK: Celebrating the Legacy through the Arts” on Jan. 13 to commemorate MLK Day. It will include visual art displays, open mic poetry, community discussions and arts and crafts projects and will take place from 2 to 5 p.m. at the W.D. Hill Recreation Center at 1308 Fayetteville Street.

Listen in on the Durham City-County’s MLK Jr. Observance program

The Observance program will be hosted by Durham’s local government organizations to commemorate MLK Day. It will include a keynote address by Mark Anthony Neal, James B. Duke distinguished professor of African and African American Studies, and comments from local leaders and elected officials. 

Kimberly Michelle, a singer, songwriter and classically trained violinist, will provide music for the event. The program will begin at 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 25 and will take place in the First Presbyterian Church located at 305 E. Main Street in downtown Durham. 

Ishita Vaid | Associate News Editor

Ishita Vaid is a Trinity sophomore and an associate news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Ways to commemorate MLK Day at Duke and in Durham” on social media.