X-Factor: McCain's scoring efficacy, energy crucial for Duke men's basketball against Syracuse

Freshman guard Jared McCain has averaged 19.8 points across the last four games.

After a big win against Queens Saturday, Duke men’s basketball is back in action against ACC foe Syracuse for its first contest of 2024. Before tipoff, the Blue Zone is here with a player from each team who could be the difference-maker Tuesday night:

Duke: Jared McCain

Coming off of a four-game win streak, the Blue Devils seem to be on the upswing from what is arguably a lackluster season thus far, and freshman guard Jared McCain’s energy on the court is no doubt a part of the team’s recent success. For the past four games, the Sacramento, Calif., native has been Duke’s top scorer.

A key aspect of McCain’s play is his ability to put points up on the scoreboard early into the game, subsequently adding fuel to the Blue Devils. In Duke’s game against Queens Saturday, the guard was the first to reach double-digits with 17 points in the first half. In total, the freshman put 24 points on the board, a career high. It is paramount that the Blue Devils keep up their offensive energy against Syracuse, who transform its opponents’ pockets of low energy into points off fastbreaks and turnovers.

When someone needs to change the game, McCain is up for the challenge. In Duke’s game against Baylor, the freshman drained a game-changing 3-pointer during the second half and scored a game-high 21 points, earning him the title of CBS Sports/USBWA Freshman of the Week. If the Blue Devils are in a tough spot Tuesday evening, the guard will be essential to the team’s redemption. Look out for more double digits from an energetic McCain against the Orange.

Syracuse: Judah Mintz

Syracuse is also riding a winning high of five consecutive victories, and sophomore guard Judah Mintz — who has been averaging a formidable 19.2 points per game this season — certainly won’t be ready to back down against Duke. 

The Fort Washington, Md., native is the Orange’s top scorer. In their win against Niagara, Mintz led the team with 18 points, all of which were scored in the paint. The sophomore is a master at the drive and layup, a skill that could make or break Syracuse Tuesday evening. The Blue Devils’ dominance of the paint is essential to their style of play, and the guard will need to battle for control to secure a win. 

Mintz’s contribution to the Orange’s success also lies in his skill for forcing turnovers. He currently leads the team in steals, racking up an impressive 29 this season. To get ahead in its upcoming matchup, Syracuse will have to continue maximizing points off of turnovers — currently, the team averages 18.4 per game compared to Duke’s 16.7. Watch for Mintz to lead this effort Tuesday evening.

Share and discuss “X-Factor: McCain's scoring efficacy, energy crucial for Duke men's basketball against Syracuse” on social media.