Need a study break? Here’s a guide to reading period rest and relaxation at Duke

Welcome to the final stretch, where the light of winter break can be seen at the end of the stress-filled tunnel. Here are some ways you can take care of yourself and make your way through these last few weeks of exams and essays:

Spend time at the Oasis

Need somewhere more quiet to decompress? Check out the Oasis, which has locations on the first floor of the Student Wellness Center and in Room 109 of Bell Tower Residence Hall. The space allows students to “disconnect and recharge by using each of the five senses,” offering massage chairs, singing bowls, Chinese baoding balls and more. For those who prefer a calming outdoor environment, the Murphy-Nimocks Meditation Garden is just outside of the Student Wellness Center Oasis location. 

Grab some late-night food with Midnight Breakfast

Partake in this prized tradition on Dec. 9 from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Marketplace. Students are requested to “dress award show ready” for this year’s theme, Devils 27.

Take advantage of group fitness classes

Don’t let stressing about finals distract you from taking care of your body. Lock in a time by signing up for fitness classes on the MyRec portal at either the Brodie or Wilson Recreation Center. Whether you’re looking to cycle to the beat of music or want to try your hand at kickboxing, there’s something for everyone.

Cheer on the Blue Devils

There is no better way to escape final exam stress than to scream your lungs out in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke men’s basketball will take on Charlotte on Dec. 9 at 2:15 p.m., and the women’s team will face Florida Gulf Coast the next day at noon. The men’s team returns to Cameron on Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. to take on Hofstra.

Explore the outdoors

Don’t forget to catch some sunlight and fresh air in between your studies. The classic Sarah P. Duke Gardens is a convenient place to do some forest bathing. Alternatively, take a 15-minute walk off West Campus to reach the Al Buehler trail, which hosts three miles of tree-lined paths for a relaxing walk or jog. Another popular spot farther from campus is the Eno River State Park, a 15-minute drive from West Campus, where you can go hiking, paddling, fishing or picnicking.

Attend some moments of mindfulness sessions

The Duke Wellness Center hosts various “moments of mindfulness” sessions throughout each week, giving students an opportunity to participate in different ways to “relax, reenergize and recharge.” Register to go birding, do yoga, learn origami and more.

Jazper Lu profile
Jazper Lu | Managing Editor

Jazper Lu is a Trinity junior and managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Need a study break? Here’s a guide to reading period rest and relaxation at Duke” on social media.