X-Factor: A bounce-back offensive game from Filipowski will aid No. 22 Duke men’s basketball against Hofstra

Kyle Filipowski only had five points against Charlotte Saturday afternoon.

Following a comfortable win against Charlotte, the Blue Devils look to continue their momentum against Hofstra. As they match up against the Pride for the first time ever Tuesday, the Blue Zone is here with a key player from each squad: 

Duke: Kyle Filipowski

While the Blue Devils cruised to a 80-56 victory against Charlotte Saturday, it was not because of Kyle Filipowski’s offensive prowess. The sophomore was 2-of-10 from the field with five points, his lowest offensive output of the season. The team did not necessarily need him to shoot the lights out, as another strong performance by Jeremy Roach and breakout game from Jared McCain led Duke to the win. However, having Filipowski back to his usual dominance on offense will be very beneficial to the Blue Devils, both against Hofstra and in later games. 

The Westtown, N.Y., native will likely be matched up against 6-foot-10 forward Jacco Fritz, who is statistically the weakest link for the Pride’s starters. This is a great chance for Filipowski to get back on track by continuing his rebounding strength but adding on another big offensive game to complement. Fritz notably commits a higher number of personal fouls than his teammates, which could send the Wilbraham and Monson product to the free throw line early and often, giving him a chance to return to his strength of scoring. With improving the player rotation becoming a key element of head coach Jon Scheyer’s game plan, it may be that Filipowski’s offensive success is not always necessary, but in closer games against better opponents, the team does well when he does well, so having him back in stride will be very favorable in the long run. 

Hofstra: Darlinstone Dubar

Hofstra is headlined by graduate Tyler Thomas, who leads the team in scoring and defensive rebounds. Despite the New Haven, Conn., native leading the show, the presence of Darlinstone Dubar will play a massive role in the outcome of the Pride’s game against Duke. The Charlotte, N.C., native will need a strong performance to complement the expected one of Thomas, and the two together could make for a lethal attack against the Blue Devils. Scoring wise, Dubar takes a secondary role, so an extra strong game for him would be very favorable for Hofstra. 

The junior also leads the team in total rebounds, and his performance off the glass will be key in helping his team get the ball back for more chances. Duke has faltered early offensively against weaker teams, so Dubar’s ability to get Thomas and fellow guard Jaquan Carlos involved, especially from three, will write the story for the game. A silent killer for the Pride with nine blocks on the year, the guard’s all-around prowess on defense will likely determine his team’s success as they match up against a Blue Devil team squad coming off a strong offensive performance Saturday. While Dubar does not always stand out, his play Tuesday could be a difference-maker in propelling an underdog Hofstra team to victory in Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

Share and discuss “X-Factor: A bounce-back offensive game from Filipowski will aid No. 22 Duke men’s basketball against Hofstra” on social media.