X-Factor: Jeremy Roach's shooting consistency essential for No. 21 Duke men's basketball against Baylor

Jeremy Roach is tied for the team lead in 3-point percentage.

After a couple of bounce-back wins against Charlotte and Hofstra, Duke faces a tough challenge in a marquee matchup against No. 10 Baylor. Let’s look at a critical player from both sides: 

Duke: Jeremy Roach

Although Duke’s performance as a team has been relatively inconsistent, a constant has been the efficient production of Jeremy Roach. During his past four games, the senior guard has been averaging an impressive 19.8 points a game while also being a facilitator on offense. Specifically, in Tuesday’s victory against Hofstra, Roach recorded a season-high eight assists, which led to a very efficient offensive production. What’s more impressive is that over the course of the season, Roach has shot a staggering 50% from 3-point land — a tie for the highest on the team — on 34 total attempts. 

Roach will need to continue his strong performance when likely matched up against either Ja’Kobe Walter or RayJ Dennis, the two best guards for Baylor. Both Walter and Dennis have led the Bears in points scored per game and the two have been very important contributors to Baylor’s impressive shooting performances. Most notably, the Bears have shot an impressive 42.1% from three, meaning that Roach will play a critical role in trying to help Duke keep up with Baylor’s high-powered offense. 

While trying to shut down the Bear guards will be an important part of the game, efficient shooting from the field throughout the entire game will be just as essential, and it starts with Roach. If he can continue to shoot well and the rest of the team can follow suit, then Duke will be positioned to be successful. However, if Roach and the rest of the team do not shoot the ball well and Baylor’s guards catch fire, then it could be a long night for the Blue Devils. 

Baylor: RayJ Dennis

The Bears have had a terrific start to their year, and Dennis has been one of the major reasons for their success. The 6-foot-2 senior started out well at the beginning of the year, and he has only gotten better as the year has gone on. During his past four games, Dennis has shot an immaculate 53.9% from the field while averaging 14 points per game and 7.5 assists per game, which could prove to be a problem for Duke. Additionally, on the defensive side of the ball, he has led the team in steals. The offense has increasingly revolved around him, and Duke’s ability to limit his performance could be the deciding factor in the game. 

In the upcoming matchup, Dennis could be set up for a big game against a Duke team that has not hit its stride yet offensively or defensively. If the Blue Devils continue to experience some of the struggles that they did in previous unexpected losses, then Baylor could be well positioned to hand another loss to the team. However, if Duke is able to step up its shooting game and shut down Baylor’s stellar perimeter game, then it could be set up for a crucial victory. 

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Jeremy Roach's shooting consistency essential for No. 21 Duke men's basketball against Baylor” on social media.