Duke football offensive lineman, 2-year captain Jacob Monk declares for 2024 NFL Draft

Jacob Monk was a five-year starter on Duke's offensive line.

Onward and upward for another of Duke's esteemed veterans.

Following in the footsteps of fellow captain Ja'Mion Franklin, graduate offensive lineman Jacob Monk announced his intentions to declare for the 2024 NFL Draft Sunday on social media.

Since being recruited over the likes of Oregon and Tennessee as a four-star center, Monk has been a staple of the Blue Devil line of scrimmage for five years across a variety of positions. The 6-foot-3, 320-pound native of Clayton, N.C., has played at center and both right and left guard, a versatility which made him a fan- and coach-favorite and contributed to him starting every game during his time in Durham. His leadership also made him a go-to guy for former head coach Mike Elko, who twice named him a team captain during his two years in charge.

A key piece of Duke's vaunted offensive line in both the 2022 and 2023 seasons, Monk was instrumental in unlocking a struggling running game and the potential of former quarterback Riley Leonard, who announced his commitment to Notre Dame after entering the transfer portal in November. He, alongside potential first-round left tackle Graham Barton, helped the Blue Devils go toe-to-toe with some of the country's most imposing defensive lines, including Clemson, Florida State and the Fighting Irish.

Aside from losing one of its most talented pieces, Monk's departure signals the true end of an era for the Duke offensive line, which is likely losing all but one starter to either graduation or the draft. Additionally, with Franklin's declaration, Leonard's departure and the likely declaration from three-year captain and defensive tackle DeWayne Carter, the Blue Devils will have no continuity of captaincy heading into new head coach Manny Diaz's inaugural season on the Duke touchline.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke football offensive lineman, 2-year captain Jacob Monk declares for 2024 NFL Draft” on social media.