Film room: Troy's record-setting defense and productive offense will challenge Duke football

Trooper Taylor will lead Duke in its matchup with Troy.

The Blue Devils will take on Troy in the Birmingham Bowl in the final game of the 2023 season, and the Blue Zone is here to take a look at what the Trojans will bring to the table:

It has been a chaotic few weeks for Duke, as the squad from Durham lost head coach Mike Elko to Texas A&M and saw a number of players, including numerous stars, hit the transfer portal. Now led by interim head coach Trooper Taylor, the Blue Devils will have the chance to make one final statement before heading into the offseason when they take on Troy.

The Trojans have also seen some challenges between the end of the regular season and the bowl game, as they lost head coach Jon Sumrall to the Tulane job. On Sunday, the plays will be called by interim head coach and defensive coordinator Greg Gasparato. That being said, the Sun Belt squad will be coming off a win. In fact, it will be riding the momentum of 10 in a row, including a 48-23 victory against Appalachian State in the conference championship.

On offense, the Trojans put most of their weight on the passing game. Leading the way on that front is senior quarterback Gunnar Watson, who boasts an impressive 150.52 quarterback rating. Despite not being especially mobile, the Butler, Ga., native has made a name for himself as a solid passer from within the pocket. Take a look below here, as he showcases his vision and finds his receiver on the sideline for the big gain. 

That being said, the rushing game is nothing to scoff at. Troy has put up an average of 158.4 yards on the ground per game, led by junior running back Kimani Vidal. Vidal is an explosive rusher, breaking off long runs including a 69-yard monster against Arkansas State. Watch below, as he gets some blocking from his teammates and explodes into the open field against Kansas State. 

While the offense has had some big games this year, the defense has been excellent as well. Gasparato has put together a talented group, and the Trojans tied the Sun Belt record for single-season sacks with 45. It has been a huge help not only in forcing punts and turnovers, but also in generating easy defensive points for Troy. Here, defensive back Don Callis comes off the edge on the blitz to knock the ball loose and pick it up for the scoop-and-score.

Here is another good example, as the edge rusher blindsides Mountaineer quarterback Joey Aguilar to force and recover the fumble. 

Troy may not be a traditional powerhouse, but make no mistake, the Trojans are formidable opponents on both sides of the ball. The offense is a well-oiled, capable machine, and the defense’s ability to bring pressure and force turnovers in the pocket is matched by few teams in the college game.

Duke certainly has a shot at this one, but with a lacking personnel group and a non-Elko head coach, it will certainly be a challenge. The Blue Devils will need to protect the ball and play tight defense in the secondary to come out on top and win a second straight bowl game. 

Share and discuss “Film room: Troy's record-setting defense and productive offense will challenge Duke football ” on social media.