Letter to Duke football players: Don't ever give up

letters to the editor

Dear Blue Devil football players,

As a long-time fan, I would first like to express my gratitude for your commitment to Duke, your hard work and sacrifices and the success you have attained on the field. I also wish success for all of you in your future endeavors. And I understand the institution of college athletics, for better or worse, is dramatically different from what it was for most of my life.

Second, if I may say more about my gratitude for your efforts, you have made a huge difference in my health status during the past two seasons as I fight a battle with prostate cancer. It is difficult to describe the good feeling I experienced in the stands watching the season finale against Pitt. Your efforts on and off the field impact the lives of so many of us in ways you can't imagine.

Third, I can't imagine how difficult it must be for those of you who are facing the prospect of a third coaching staff in your time at Duke and are being asked to trust another group of coaches. I taught and coached for 30 years so I understand the bond that should exist between athletes and coaches but all too often does not.

Lastly, I certainly don't know any of you well enough to suggest that I know what's best for you personally, academically or athletically. However, I want you to know that you have made a difference in my life. I am headed to Birmingham to support you. I understand change is inevitable; however, I hope you will consider your commitment to your teammates and finish the job you started at Duke.

Best wishes and happy holidays to you all. And Let's Go, Duke! Beat Troy!

Richard Byrd is a lifelong Duke sports fan from South Carolina.

Share and discuss “Letter to Duke football players: Don't ever give up” on social media.