DSG hears from GVPI panel, approves over $50,000 in funding for student groups

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to give updates on committee progress, hear from a Center for Gender Violence Prevention and Intervention panel and vote on over $50,000 of funding for various student groups

Committee progress updates

The academic affairs committee’s flagship Blue Devil Bridges program has moved on to its “second phase,” focusing on developing the algorithm that will pair students with alumni mentors.

The campus life committee finalized its project work, looking to tackle issues like parking and transportation, dining and healthcare access. Along with the Durham and community affairs committee, the campus life committee is working to gauge the emergency response mechanism at other universities to push Duke’s to be more proactive.

The DCA committee reflected on Tuesday’s municipal elections, detailing how the committee worked with Duke Votes to ensure students had voter ID cards and organized transportation to polling locations.

The equity and outreach committee is in talks with Duke administration on how much money should be added to tuition to ensure free laundry. Questions for the survey regarding Duke LIFE’s study space in Perkins are also being finalized. 

The services and sustainability committee promoted a survey for students to assess demand for and issues with napping spaces on campus. 

GVPI panel

Senators then heard from a GVPI panel consisting of Jennifer Wiggins, associate dean of students and director of gender violence prevention, Associate Dean of Students Victoria Krebs, Gender Violence Intervention Coordinator Amy Johndro and Deputy Title IX Coordinator Adrienne Allison. 

The panel shared information on how student conduct issues are handled and explained the difference between confidential and non-confidential resources.

Confidential resources allow students to share information with people who are not mandated to report anything to Duke. These resources include the Counseling and Psychological Services, Timely Care, Student Health and the Durham Crisis Response Center

Resources like the Office of Student Conduct, Office for Institutional Equity and professors are non-confidential, meaning that they are required to report any information that may involve potential violations of Duke’s policy on prohibited discrimination, harassment and related misconduct

In other business

DSG senators confirmed first-years Edison Chen and Apphia Lall as legislative aid and legislative outreach officer, respectively. 

DSG senators allocated $1,750 to Camp Kesem for its Giving Tuesday event, $1,500 to Neuro Care to help cover costs for an entertainer at its mental health advocacy concert, $4,550 to the Jewish Student Union for its annual Latkaplooza event, $2,050 to Alpha Phi Alpha for its dues and $2,321.85 for a conference, $4,018 to Amnesty International to cover travel and registration fees for an activism conference, $8,893.60 to Bench and Bar to cover travel and lodging fees for a conference, $5,946 to Duke Investment Club to cover travel, lodging and conference registration fees for a conference, $1,679.46 to Duke Motorsports for Italian-made tires, $5317.60 to Duke Club Pickleball for a tournament in Atlanta, $4,748 to the Duke University Debating Society to cover costs for a debate competition in Seattle and $19,958.53 to Duke Mock Trial to cover costs for various tournaments. 

There will be a DSG town hall on Thursday at 6 p.m. in Old Chemistry 101 to allow students to ask senators questions and to give feedback on their projects. 

Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “DSG hears from GVPI panel, approves over $50,000 in funding for student groups” on social media.