A journey into the Duke Campus Farm

Click the 'i' icon in the top left corner of every image to learn a little more, or read the descriptions below.

A little over six miles from the Chapel is the Duke Campus Farm — a haven of fresh produce. 

The farm's origin

The one-acre Duke Campus Farm was founded in 2010 by a group of students in partnership with the Duke Forest. 

Community Supported Agriculture

Through its Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, the farm supplies food for about 100 Duke community members each year, including Duke vendors and University programs. 

Student opportunities

In addition to courses, the farm offers volunteer, employment and research opportunities for students.

Working at the farm

Students and other community members are welcome to volunteer at the farm every Friday. No experience is required, and once a month, these work days conclude with a potluck on farm grounds. 

Fresh produce

A holiday market held in 2022 offered attendees the chance to take produce from the farm to their homes. Volunteers pictured here carry crates of green peppers harvested from the farm.

18,000 pounds of vegetables

According to its most recent annual report, the farm grew over 18,000 pounds of vegetables in 2022. 

Spring programs at the farm

During spring break, the farm hosts a Restorative Spring Break program, which offers yoga, queer ecology, environmental poetry readings and bonfires at the farm. The 2022 program focused on supporting students of color and partnered with local organizations such as the Pauli Murray Center, the Durham co-op market and Student Action with Farmworkers. 

Kerria Weaver profile
Kerria Weaver | Associate News Editor

Kerria Weaver is a second-year master’s student in the Graduate Liberal Studies program and an associate news editor of The Chronicle’s 119th volume.

Share and discuss “A journey into the Duke Campus Farm” on social media.