X-Factor: Roach's midrange ability, big-game experience can propel Duke men's basketball to victory against Arizona

Senior guard Jeremy Roach goes up for a layup in Duke's win against Dartmouth.

After a win against Dartmouth Monday, No. 2 Duke men’s basketball will face off against No. 12 Arizona Friday night. Before the 7 p.m. tipoff in Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Blue Zone takes a look at a player from both teams that will be crucial in the contest:

Duke: Jeremy Roach

In Duke’s 92-54 victory against Dartmouth in its regular-season opener, captain Jeremy Roach picked up right where he left off from last season. After averaging a career-high 13.6 points per game during the 2022-23 campaign, the senior guard put up 14 points on 7-of-11 shooting in the first contest of his fourth season with the Blue Devils. Despite his efficient output against the Big Green, Roach was largely outshadowed by the 25-point performance of sophomore center Kyle Filipowski. However, in Duke’s next matchup against No. 12 Arizona, Roach’s play will be crucial as the Wildcats look to clamp down on Filipowski in the paint. 

With the return of junior Jaylen Blakes and sophomore Tyrese Proctor, plus the additions of five-star freshmen Jared McCain and Caleb Foster, the Blue Devils boast a plethora of talented backcourt options. Head coach Jon Scheyer has even experimented with three- and four-guard lineups against Dartmouth and in Duke’s exhibition victory against UNC Pembroke. Roach, however, remains the only guard on the roster who consistently attempts and makes contested midrange jumpers off the dribble. Since the Blue Devil offense relies heavily on their guards’ 3-point shooting and Filipowski’s dominance inside, Arizona will likely focus on containing those two aspects of Duke’s attack. If the Wildcats’ game plan succeeds and the Blue Devils struggle to replicate the shooting prowess seen against the Big Green, Roach’s jumper will be essential to keep Duke’s offense rolling during dry spells from beyond the arc. 

In addition to his versatile skill set, Roach’s big-game pedigree will also play a massive role Friday against Arizona. While the Blue Devils boast a more experienced roster than they have had through much of the one-and-done era, Roach and Blakes are the only two remaining players from the team that made the Final Four two years ago. As such, the four-year Duke star will look to be a measured and composed presence through perhaps the biggest game of the Blue Devils’ non-conference slate. 

Arizona: Caleb Love

Although Duke has not played the Wildcats in 10 years, there will be one familiar face Blue Devil fans will recognize as former North Carolina standout Caleb Love returns to Cameron Indoor Stadium Friday. Love has terrorized Duke in the past, notably scoring 22 points during former Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s last home game and 28 in Duke’s heartbreaking 81-77 defeat to the Tar Heels in the 2022 Final Four. After trading Carolina blue for the cardinal and navy of Arizona during the summer, the St. Louis native will aim to once again dash the Blue Devils’ hopes of victory.

Against Dartmouth, Duke excelled at containing the Big Green’s 3-point attack, limiting its opponent to just four made threes from beyond the arc. However, facing a much more talented Wildcats squad, this feat will be harder to accomplish, especially considering Love’s presence in Arizona’s ranks. The 2020 McDonald’s All-American combines elite 3-point shooting with a tenacious defensive presence, making him one of the best 3-and-D players in college basketball. With the uncertain injury status of defensive force Mark Mitchell and the relative inexperience of McCain and Foster, Love may have the opportunity to once again devastate the Blue Devil faithful, firmly etching himself as one of the great villains in Duke basketball history. 

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Roach's midrange ability, big-game experience can propel Duke men's basketball to victory against Arizona” on social media.