2023-24 Florida State men's basketball season preview

Florida State Seminoles

2022-23 record: 9-23, 7-13 in the ACC

Head Coach: Leonard Hamilton 

Tenure at Florida State: 22nd season

Career coaching record: 626-475

Home Court: Donald L. Tucker Civic Center

Starters: G Jalen Warley, G Darin Green Jr., F Cam’ron Fletcher, F Baba Miller, C Cam Corhen

Bench: G Chandler Jackson, G Josh Nickelberry, F Taylor Bol Bowen, F De'Ante Green, C Jaylan Gainey, F Jamir Watkins

Overview: Following the 2020-21 season, Florida State looked to be a dangerous opponent in ACC play and a tough threat in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately for the Seminoles, the results of the last two seasons quickly shattered those hopes. Most recently, the team finished 12th in the ACC with a losing record, its only ranked win of the year coming against then-No. 13 Miami.

The transfer portal proved to be prominent in the making of this season’s lineup. Florida State lost two of its starters during the offseason, including the team’s points and rebounds leader in Matthew Cleveland, now a Miami Hurricane. The two starters, as well as rotation player Naheem McLeod, contributed to 36.9% of the team’s minutes last year. With these losses, the Seminoles will place their trust in returning guard Darin Green Jr. The senior averaged 34.1 minutes per game last season and sat second in points behind Cleveland. The Seminoles will also welcome back senior Cam'Ron Fletcher who showed promise before suffering an ACL tear last December. With a season highlighted by injury and inconsistent play, head coach Leonard Hamilton’s team never had the opportunity to reach its potential. With much of their core group returning, the Seminoles will look to their veterans to bring the team out of its slump. 

The incoming players will provide a talent boost. Freshman Taylor Bol Bowen, the Seminoles’ most promising recruit, could provide the defensive charisma Hamilton needs for his roster.

Another new face on the team will be incoming Georgetown transfer Primo Spears, whose status is unknown due to NCAA rules around transferring multiple times. 

Team ceiling: If Hamilton can get his players on the same page and contributors like Green are more consistent in their point production, expect a much-improved Seminole team. This isn’t to say that Florida State can completely turn it around or be a legitimate contender in the ACC, but if all the puzzle pieces fit together, the Seminoles can make a run in the conference tournament. 

Team floor: A team infiltrated with inconsistency, weak defense and poor shooting maintains its spot near the bottom of the ACC. 

Share and discuss “2023-24 Florida State men's basketball season preview” on social media.