How Duke football players reacted on social media to Mike Elko's late-night departure for Texas A&M

Chandler Rivers was one of many Duke players to take to social media in the wake of Elko's departure.

After former Duke head coach Mike Elko announced his departure to Texas A&M, much of the Blue Devil faithful initially demonstrated praise for Elko’s success in turning around the program and reinvigorating the passionate fanbase. However, when footage emerged of Elko arriving in College Station, Texas, early Monday morning, players were critical of the way he left.

Current Blue Devils were not quiet on social media, responding with memes about the manner in which Elko left the program, seemingly unbeknownst to the Duke players amid the late-night frenzy. 

Even former Blue Devil football players commented about the situation. 

Prior to Elko’s departure, Duke had the No. 36 recruiting class in the country for 2024, so the coaching change could impact the retention of this group. Paul Mencke Jr., a three-star safety, had some fun with the news of the former Blue Devil head coach departing late at night. 

Despite the quick change, the players still demonstrated unity through adversity. The season is not over yet, as Duke is still awaiting the announcement of its bowl game, and the players seem connected through a bond beyond their head coach. 

Interim head coach Trooper Taylor — announced by athletic director Nina King at a Monday press conference — now has the task of focusing the team amidst the outside noise, but it seems as though his squad is bought in on finishing the season on a positive note. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “How Duke football players reacted on social media to Mike Elko's late-night departure for Texas A&M” on social media.