Devil's in the details: Players and coaches reach milestones, women's basketball sets 3-point record

Duke men's basketball senior guard Jeremy Roach reached 1,000 career points Friday against Arizona.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers: 

1,000

Duke’s barn burner against Arizona represented the first real test for captain Jeremy Roach’s senior season. The Leesburg, Va., native ended with 17 points in the heartbreaking loss, and a second half three-pointer off a Jared McCain assist marked a benchmark in Roach’s career: it pushed him past 1,000 points.

Roach cemented himself in Blue Devil history as the 68th player to score 1,000 points in a Duke uniform; he’s the first to do so since Grayson Allen, Amile Jefferson and Luke Kennard all hit the milestone in the 2016-2017 season. After the 2022-2023 season, Roach declared for the 2023 NBA draft while maintaining college eligibility. If he would’ve chosen to retire from college basketball, Roach’s career point total would’ve halted at 980. Instead, No. 3 decided to utilize his fourth year of NCAA eligibility and chase the 1,000 point achievement.

700

Duke volleyball’s 3-0 sweep over Virginia Tech represented head coach Jolene Nagel’s 700th career win and her 497th as the coach of the Blue Devils. Nagel came to Duke in 1999 after seven years of coaching at Georgetown and four years at Cornell. Nagel has led Duke to 12 NCAA Tournament appearances, including seven straight from 2005-2011. This season, Nagel has coached the Blue Devils to a 17-9 record with a home record of 11-2. Furthermore, Nagel is only the ninth active Division I coach to reach 700 wins. Duke has just three regular season games left this year, concluding with a matchup against in-state rival North Carolina.

1,181

A Blue Devil is headed to the NCAA cross-country National Championships. Junior Amina Maatoug placed second place in NCAA Southeast Regional Championships and earned an individual qualifying spot at the national championships. At the 2k mark, Maatoug was positioned 13th, and she eventually climbed 11 spots to earn All-Southeast Region honors. The Leiden, Netherlands, native finished about 11 seconds behind NC State’s first place finisher, finishing the 6k with a time of 19:41.00; that’s 1,181 seconds. Maatoug will compete Nov. 18 and look to finish with a top-50 time in the country.

14

Duke women’s basketball comfortably conquered its Sun Belt visitors in its second regular-season matchup, defeating Coastal Carolina 88-42. Four Blue Devils scored double-digits, including sophomore Ashlon Jackson’s career-high 25 point performance. By the time the final buzzer sounded, Duke had successfully made 14 triples — a new school record.

The Blue Devils’ long-range shootout featured a 42.4% shooting percentage from deep, a ratio significantly higher than last season’s 31.3% 3-point rate. The impressive shooting stretch from the team was largely executed by Jackson and sophomore Emma Koabel, who combined for nine three pointers. The historic performance may encourage Duke to lean on its 3-point shooting for success in the games ahead. 

Share and discuss “Devil's in the details: Players and coaches reach milestones, women's basketball sets 3-point record” on social media.