DSG gives updates on future committee plans, including new Blue Devil Bridges program

<p>Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.</p>

Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to give updates on their future committee plans.

The academic affairs committee’s project, Blue Devil Bridges, will be released for both students and alumni Thursday. Similar to Blue Devil Buddies, Blue Devil Bridges pairs students with alumni, who can help give them advice about life after graduating from Duke. 

The program is currently only open to sophomores but will expand to all students in the future. The committee anticipates several thousands of alumni will be “included” in this initial run. 

The committees for campus life and services and sustainability released a joint statement summarizing their meeting with Duke Dining about its mobile dining app’s recent outages. Both committees pushed for “greater transparency” in Duke Dining’s communication with students. 

The committees discussed recent technical malfunctions of the mobile ordering app, which resulted in some orders being mistakenly duplicated, forcing users to pay twice the price for their meal. Each of these instances had to be fixed manually, and with over 400 double-charged meals, Duke Dining was forced to shut down the app. 

The equity and outreach committee announced that it was working towards a laundry initiative to make laundry more affordable for first-generation low-income students. In addition, the committee noted that it was looking into the viability of having laundry free for all students, as seen by many other schools. 

The Durham and community affairs committee reported on their discussions with several groups at Duke and in the Durham community, including new student and family programming and the Durham County commissioners. 

In other business

Senators allocated $4,000 to the Asian Students Association for their mixer with Mi Gente, $4651.75 to devilTHON: Duke Dance Marathon’s all star talent show, $5,000 to NeuroCare for its keynote speaker event with Lisa Genova in conjunction with Duke HAND. 

Senators also passed a budgetary statute allocating $250 for DSG 101, an information session for new DSG senators and cabinet members.  

Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “DSG gives updates on future committee plans, including new Blue Devil Bridges program” on social media.