University Store cancels annual Halloween sale, replaces it with mid-November sale

The Duke University Store’s beloved annual Oct. 31 sale, where all items are 31% off, is canceled this year in lieu of “a large clearance sale” from Nov. 14 to 16, where select items will be 50% off. 

This sale will take place in Penn Pavilion from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 14 and 15 and from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Nov. 16.

In addition to the sales in November, a few promotional sales will be happening throughout Halloween day.

Even with the sale in November, some students were dismayed at the cancellation of the Halloween sale, saying it was one of the biggest opportunities to buy Duke merchandise for both themselves and as gifts for family and friends.

“I bought something for my parents to give it to them when I went back for Thanksgiving break,” said sophomore Aadi Agrawal when reflecting on his experience with last year’s October sale. “It kind of sucks [now that it’s gone].”

“I feel like it’s not fair because Duke merch is already so expensive,” said first-year Izzy Jaya. “When I visited during Blue Devil Days, I didn’t buy any merch, even though we got a 20% discount, so I already think the prices are pretty inflated.”

She added that students can usually find cheaper options on online retail sites like Depop and Etsy.

“I feel like the sale is a good festive opportunity, and that the tradition should be upheld,” Jaya continued, a sentiment that other students echoed. 

Now that the sale is no longer offered, some students have decided against buying items from the University Store ahead of the holidays. Since many Duke students manage to acquire Duke merchandise through various events on campus like career fairs, clubs and sporting events, the University Store may not be much of a point of interest. 

One such student is sophomore Dan Jellinek, who chose not to take advantage of the sale last year. He does not think that the sale’s cancellation this year is “the biggest deal in the world, but it does suck.”

Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “University Store cancels annual Halloween sale, replaces it with mid-November sale” on social media.