DSG provides updates on committee projects, votes to confirm senators to internal committees

<p>Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.</p>

Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to give updates on committee projects and confirm senators to internal committees.

The academic affairs committee has officially launched Blue Devil Bridges, which pairs students with alumni, similar to how Blue Devil Buddies pairs incoming students with current students. The program, which is open to all sophomores, juniors and seniors, has seen over 1,000 alumni and roughly 400 students sign up. The sign-up form can be found here.

The committee also shared updates regarding the development of a new curriculum for the Class of 2030. There will be a town hall on Nov. 6 where students can voice their opinions — more details will be released soon.

The campus life committee has continued their talks with Duke Parking and Transportation and Housing and Residence Life, with discussions regarding the amount of C1 buses running, $5 deals and providing more first aid kits in dorms.

The Durham and community affairs committee has met with a Durham County Commissioner to “better connect with local organizations”. 

The equity and outreach committee is working on an initiative to move laundry fees to be included in tuition. They hope the change can benefit first-generation low-income students, as students currently must pay laundry fees through their personal accounts. They are also continuing work with Duke LIFE on space renovation.

The services and sustainability committee has brainstormed several new ideas, including adding napping pods on campus, providing more vegetarian options at Duke dining halls and “having fresh produce nearby.”

Senators voted to confirm first-years Emily Wang, Aarav Dagar and Angela Chen to the internal affairs committee, and first-years Yash Sharma, Kartikeye Gupta and Noah Tajudeen to the senate judiciary committee.

In other business

Two speakers set to present to DSG were announced. Lauren Denton, associate director for the Center for Multicultural Affairs and manager of the Cultural Engagement Fund, will speak at the DSG meeting on Nov. 1 about the application process for cultural groups to obtain funding. 

For the Nov. 8 meeting, there will be a gender violence prevention and intervention panel with speakers from the Office of Institutional Equity, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, Counseling and Psychological Services and the GVPI Office.

No funding requests were brought forth at the meeting.

Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “DSG provides updates on committee projects, votes to confirm senators to internal committees” on social media.