Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Kyle Filipowski

Kyle Filipowski was recently named an AP preseason All-American.

As the beginning of basketball season is near, the Blue Zone provides a detailed preview of each player on Duke men's basketball's 2023-24 roster. We've already looked at Stanley Borden, Spencer Hubbard, Neal Begovich, Jaden Schutt, Christian Reeves, Jaylen Blakes, TJ Power, Ryan Young, Sean Stewart, Caleb Foster, Jared McCain, Mark Mitchell, Jeremy Roach and Tyrese Proctor. Last but certainly not least is sophomore center Kyle Filipowski:

Kyle Filipowski

Year: Sophomore

Height: 7-foot

Position: Center

Last year’s stat line: 29.1 MPG, 15.1 PPG, 8.9 RPG, 1.6 APG

Game breakdown: The 2022-23 ACC Rookie of the Year owns the court. Kyle Filipowski dominates on both offense and defense, making his mark with points and rebounds in every game he plays. His 7-foot stature makes him a menace at the net, collecting an average of 8.9 rebounds per game in his freshman season while also knocking down an average of 15.1 points in each contest, making him Duke’s team leader in both categories. As a rookie, Filipowski earned 16 double-doubles from combined rebounds and points.

The Westtown, N.Y., native has a range of go-to shots. He tallies layups, dunks and jumpers, uniquely skilled in style for a center of his size. Up close at the net, he knows how to take a high pass from a teammate and convert it into points. He can also drive through defense to put layups up.

Role on the team: Perhaps Filipowski’s greatest strength on the Blue Devil roster is his consistency. In the 2022-23 season, he scored in double digits in every game but five. He’s a trusted teammate, good at creating scoring opportunities when Duke finds itself in a tricky spot. Senior guard Jeremy Roach and sophomore point guard Tyrese Proctor often look to Filipowski when points need to happen, knowing he can probably wrangle a basket.

The AP preseason All-American returns as a sophomore ready to take on a leadership role. He chose to re-commit to Duke for a second year despite high prospects if he were to have entered into the NBA draft. By choosing the Blue Devils, the Wilbraham and Monson product announced a loyal commitment to Duke. He’s also among the most talented on the team, making him a role model both as a player and as a member of the Blue Devil brotherhood.

NBA comparison: Tall and versatile, Filipowski might see a future version of himself in Denver’s Nikola Jokic. The Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP winner carried the Nuggets to their first ever championship win over the Miami Heat in 2023. He averages double-doubles with 20.2 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in his eight-year career in Denver. Jokic stands an inch shorter than Filipowski but has 40 pounds of muscle on the younger center, making him a physical force to be reckoned with as well as a skilled player. Like Filipowski, Jokic stands out as a leader on his roster in both ability and spirit. Like Jokic, Filipowski has the power to carry his team to national heights.

Projected stats: 32 MPG, 17.0 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 1.4 APG

Sophie Levenson profile
Sophie Levenson | Sports Managing Editor

Sophie Levenson is a Trinity sophomore and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Kyle Filipowski” on social media.