Extra point: Missed field goals, last-second breakdowns highlight Duke's loss to Notre Dame

Linebacker Tre Freeman goes after Notre Dame quarterback Sam Hartman.

In a primetime matchup against Notre Dame Saturday, Duke football fell short of victory in a thrilling heartbreaker. The Blue Zone is here with three key takeaways, stats and a look ahead following the Blue Devils’ loss:

Three key takeaways

1. Missed Field Goals

Duke’s two missed field goals resulted in the team having to break a scoreless streak that lasted nearly three quarters to be able to fight for the victory. It managed to do so remarkably well, scoring two touchdowns and blanking Notre Dame until the final plays of the game. While these misses would be ultimately insignificant — the Fighting Irish scored a touchdown with less than a minute left, and Duke could not answer — the six points left on the field had the potential to change the contest.

2. A Defensive Breakdown

While the Blue Devils’ defense made many important plays, it was a breakdown that lost them the game. After a great defensive series, Duke was leading 14-13 and had Notre Dame at fourth-and-16 with 51 seconds left. The soldout crowd at Wallace Wade Stadium was roaring with energy as many students prepared to rush the field. The overconfidence of the fans was quickly diminished, however, as Duke’s defense let Irish quarterback Sam Hartman run 17 yards to get the first down, ultimately culminating in a touchdown and 2-point conversion.

3. Leonard Injury

To add insult to injury, the Blue Devils’ quarterback Riley Leonard went down as Notre Dame recovered a fumble with 27 seconds left. The Fairhope, Ala., native is the key to Duke’s offense, allowing his squad to stay undefeated before last night. The extent to his injury is currently unknown, but there is a possibility that he will be out for the next few matches.  

Three key stats

1. Scoreless first half

The Blue Devils went into the second half with nothing on the board while the Irish had gained 10 points from a touchdown and field goal. Even with Duke coming back with two touchdowns in the next two quarters, it was unsuccessful in putting the game away. A few points in the first half could have changed the end result, and the team would not have had to create a miracle in the last minute. 

2. 88 yards for Leonard

The Blue Devils' quarterback is known for his ability to run the ball, especially after his 44-yard touchdown in the season-opening win against Clemson. He led his team in rushing yards against Notre Dame, earning 88 in total. In comparison, the Irish’s leading player, Audric Estime, rushed for 81 yards, while Hartman only tallied 23. This difference displays the teams’ different playing styles, as the Irish relied much more heavily on passing yards than Duke.

3. 2 turnovers

Over the course of the game, the Blue Devils accumulated two turnovers — an interception and a fumble — while Notre Dame had none. Both were vital in determining the outcome of the game. The interception resulted in the Irish gaining three points with a field goal to end the first quarter, and the fumble ended the game as Duke lost possession with 27 seconds remaining following Notre Dame's final touchdown.

Looking ahead

The next game for the Blue Devils will take place at home in two weeks against N.C. State. This will be an ACC matchup that will impact Duke’s top-5 position in the conference, with the Blue Devils currently sitting in fourth while the Wolfpack are in sixth. With the extent to Leonard’s injury unknown, there is only hope that he can return to play in this matchup or that Duke head coach Mike Elko can get the team into shape with a new quarterback.

Share and discuss “Extra point: Missed field goals, last-second breakdowns highlight Duke's loss to Notre Dame” on social media.