Devil's in the details: Worthington, Maatoug reach individual marks, field hockey, men's soccer set for postseason

Graduate student setter Emma Worthington recently reached 2,500 career assists.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details — and the numbers: 

2500

Graduate student Emma Worthington is an expert in setting her teammates up for success. In the Blue Devils’ 3-0 rout of Clemson Oct. 22, Worthington celebrated the incredible milestone of 2500 career assists. She has tallied 1,819 in her three seasons at Cornell and 788, so far, in her first season with Duke. 

Worthington and the Blue Devils won both of their rivalry-week games against North Carolina and N.C. State, matches in which the Omaha, Neb., native racked up even more assists — 43 and 39, respectively. With Worthington perfectly setting her teammates up to make the kill, Duke will look to extend its home win streak Friday night against Wake Forest. 

2

Duke field hockey faced off against North Carolina in a rivalry match pivotal to determining the No. 1 seed for the ACC tournament. The match initially began scoreless, as both teams fiercely battled it out until the Blue Devils managed to score a goal and take the lead. Just as Duke could feel the tide of victory blowing its way with a late-game lead, however, the Tar Heels scored two goals in three minutes, snatching the game away. Ultimately, Duke fell 2-1 to North Carolina. With the loss, the Tar Heels gained the top seed in the tournament, and the Blue Devils fell to second, where they will have a first-round matchup with Wake Forest. 

5

After an impressive regular season that began with a dynamic eight-game undefeated streak, Duke men’s soccer will enter the ACC Championships as the No. 5 seed, facing off against No. 12 Boston College. Even though the Blue Devils only lost three games in the regular season, all three of those losses came against ACC opponents. This means the possible road to an ACC Championship, that would be the program’s first since 2006, is paved by familiar rivals — including Clemson, who snapped Duke’s opening streak and handed the team its first loss of the season. 

Led by graduate student Forster Ajago on the offensive side and breakout-freshman goalkeeper Julian Eyestone, the Blue Devils are well-equipped to avenge their ACC losses and chase a title. 

2

Duke cross country phenom Amina Maatoug keeps on shining. The Leiden, Netherlands, native raced to an impressive second-place finish at the ACC Championships in Tallahassee, Fla., beating her previous personal best in the 6k race with a time of 19:29.9. Her finish helped propel the Blue Devils to seventh overall at the meet. 

Maatoug’s second-place finish also marks the highest finish for a Duke runner since 2013. As she continues to run through records, the women’s cross country team will certainly rely on her. Up next, Maatoug and the Blue Devils hope to have a big showing at the NCAA Southeast Regional, where they hope to qualify for the team’s first NCAA Championship since 2020. 

Share and discuss “Devil's in the details: Worthington, Maatoug reach individual marks, field hockey, men's soccer set for postseason” on social media.