Devil's in the details: Men's golf finds fall success, women's soccer gets second ACC win

Duke women's soccer earned its second ACC win of the season against Virginia Tech Thursday.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details — and the numbers:

-7

On Saturday, Duke men’s golf freshman Bryan Kim posted the lowest score by any individual in the first two rounds of the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, finishing seven under par. He posted eight birdies and one bogey on the day. The rest of the Blue Devils —  Jimmy Zheng, Kelly Chinn, Luke Sample and Ian Siebers — tallied +1, +2, +3 and +7, respectively. Next Duke will travel to Greensboro, N. C., next weekend for the Bryan National Collegiate before traveling to the West Coast for the Cal Poly Invitational, the final competition of the fall season.

1

On Thursday night, Duke women’s soccer emerged victorious with a conference road win against Virginia Tech. The Blue Devils were buoyed by a 26th-minute strike from freshman Phoebe Goldthwaite. Senior Grace Watkins sent a long cross into the box, and the Durham, N.C., native sent her first career score past the goalkeeper into the back of the net. Looking ahead, Duke will take on No. 1 Florida State at home Sunday before traveling to Louisville to face off against the Cardinals and finish off the regular season.

2

For the second time this year, Duke men’s soccer forward Forster Ajago was named ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week. To earn the honor, he netted one goal each in 2-1 and 3-0 victories over N. C. State and Elon, respectively. He received the award earlier this season on the heels of his hat trick against Furman in a 6-0 beat down. 

Up next for Ajago and the ninth-ranked Blue Devils is a trip up to the Steel City to face No. 23 Pittsburgh, followed by a home stand against Howard and Virginia Tech to end the regular season. These final two ACC matchups will prove pivotal in Duke’s hopes of earning a bye in the conference tournament.

11

Amina Maatoug placed 11th at the Nuttycombe Invitational for No. 30 Duke women’s cross country in the Blue Devils’ final regular-season meet. The Leiden, Netherlands, native jumped seven places in the final 2,000 meters, propelling her to a strong finish with a time of 20:07.1, good for fourth among ACC runners.

Charlotte Tomkinson, Emily Cole, Julia Fenerty and Karly Forker rounded out Duke’s scoring as the Blue Devils took 21st place.

1,000

In a 3-2 loss to Boston College last Friday, Duke volleyball’s starting libero Madison Bryant had her 1,000th career dig. After three years of undergraduate play at Tennessee, the Anderson, S. C. native transferred to Durham for her senior campaign. She totaled 80 digs in six games before sustaining a season-ending injury in 2022. This year, she has played all 74 sets for the Blue Devils, totaling 288 digs. 

Duke ended its pair of road games strong last weekend with a 3-0 win against Syracuse before a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Georgia Tech Friday. The Blue Devils will take on Clemson Sunday in hopes of getting back on the victory path.

Share and discuss “Devil's in the details: Men's golf finds fall success, women's soccer gets second ACC win” on social media.