RECESS  |  LOCAL

Preview: Slingshot Festival brings eclectic EDM music to Durham

Are you already getting tired of hearing “Starships” by Nicki Minaj at Shooters every Saturday? Then Slingshot Festival, held Oct. 6–7 at art and music venue The Fruit, may be the perfect weekend plan for you. Take a break from the radio music of 2010 and enter an innovative, artful and enigmatic sphere for a night. 

Marking its second year in Durham, Slingshot—previously held in Athens, Georgia—will include a diverse array of notable and up-and-coming performers that dabble within the bounds of dance, electronic, pop and experimental music. Its lineup includes over 100 international and locally-based artists, including Hiroko Yamamura, DJ Holographic, Kate NV, Marina Herlop, Polygonia and GRRL. Locally owned and operated as a partnership of the record label Maison Fauna, Slingshot promises to “deliver the best experience in next-wave music and electronic art.” 

Hailing from Detroit, Ariel Corley’s sound draws from her roots in Motown, R&B and rock. Even her stage name, DJ Holographic, reflects the intentional nature of her art; it alludes to Star Trek’s Holodeck, representing a transportation to divine reality. Her music captures the essence of urban grit with a stylish and funky flair. DJ Holographic’s passion and energy is contagious from the moment she steps behind the table. 

Chicago DJ Hiroko Yamamura’s music is guaranteed to transport you to an otherworldly state. Her synth-filled tracks are a contemporary take on ‘80s new wave. Yamamura’s sound can best be described as techno with a blend of industrial, gothic and DIY inspiration. 

Kate NV, also known as NV, is the solo persona of Kate Shilonosova, vocalist for the Moscow-based rock band Glintshake. Through her Japanese ‘80s pop-inspired tracks, NV offers a vibrant interpretation of electronic music grounded in playfulness. Her experimental nature shines through her sound, which includes inspiration from “16-bit video games, amateur orchestras, broken instruments, and the unexpected sounds of everyday life.” 

Catalan composer, producer and vocalist Marina Herlop’s discography reflects her classical training experience at the Conservatori Professional de Música in Badalona. However, her recent songs creatively dive into the world of electronic pop, integrating the intricate Carnatic singing techniques of South India. Through striking vocals and layers of stimulating rhythms, Marina’s music radiates a mystical energy. 

Behind Polygonia is genre-bending DJ and producer Lindsey Wong, based in Munich, Germany. Her sound ranges from energetic, bold techno to textural/harmonic ambient, and she draws inspiration from nature in many of her productions. Using the power of storytelling within her compelling mixes, Polygonia transports her audiences to a hypnotic state.

North Carolina native GRRL’s beginnings trace back to Soundcloud uploads that accumulated attention from prominent figures in the electronic music scene and kickstarted their career. GRRL embraces modernism with their bold techno, masterfully crafted breakbeats, and percussive “club-belters.” Their colorful sets and attention-grabbing tracks contribute to a new age of electronic music expanding globally. 

Tickets for Slingshot can be purchased here for $35 before Sept. 30. Slingshot also offers volunteer opportunities; see application here.

Share and discuss “Preview: Slingshot Festival brings eclectic EDM music to Durham” on social media.