DSG senators approve updated K-Ville policies, present new ‘Blue Devil Bridges’ alumni connection program

<p>Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.</p>

Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to confirm changes to Krzyzewskiville gameday policies, present a new alumni connection program and listen to a presentation on risk management.

Senators voted to approve updated K-Ville gameday policies as the basketball season approaches.

The weather policy was changed to allow grace from walk-up lines if temperatures reach 32°F or lower and “other dangerous weather events.”

A tent safety clause was added, specifically banning portable electric power generators, space heaters and propane tanks. Changes to the alcohol policy also banned “DIY tables,” and specified that “BORGs and kegs” were not allowed.

Furthermore, the early walk-up line registration form will no longer be offered due to “logistical challenges,” and students will instead have to register at a tent that will open at 7 a.m. on game days. 

Senators from academic affairs unveiled their tentative plan for Blue Devil Bridges, a program that will connect students with Duke alumni in various industries. 

Similar to the Blue Devil Buddies program, which connects incoming first-years with upperclassmen, forms are sent out to both current students and Duke alums in order to best pair them with each other. Once paired, they’ll be given each other’s contact info. 

The program will be open to sophomores for its pilot, but will be expanded to other grade levels in the future. The first forms will tentatively be sent out Oct. 9. 

Anna Lehnen, director of student involvement and leadership, spoke to DSG senators about risk management and preventative care when hosting events for Duke students. Lehnen led DSG senators through several brainstorming exercises and discussions to teach them about making campus safer.

“When you are in the position of power that you are, you have a responsibility for the campus, for all of the students here and for [student groups] to help ensure that what they’re doing goes well,” she said. 

In other business

DSG senators confirmed several new first-year and sophomore senators who were sworn into their committees by a member of the DSG judiciary. 

First-years Olivia McConnell, Noah Tajudeen, Yash Sharma, Marvin Tai and sophomore Aditya Raj were confirmed to academic affairs, first-years Sarva Anbarasu, Emily Wang and sophomore Divine Ebisike to Durham community affairs, first-year Luis Pereira-Lazo to equity and outreach, sophomores Dylan Cawley and Mariam Gulamhusein to services and sustainability and first-years Samanyu Gangappa, Kaylyn Oh and Romit Chunduri and sophomores Jackson Streit and Zubin Rekhi to campus life.

DSG senators allocated $10,750 to Krzyzewskiville line monitors for various costs including wristbands, bullhorn replacements, bottled water during UNC game day and food for P-Checks, $4,550 to the Asian Student Association for the Asian Creatives Festival Night Market on Oct. 22, $5,960 to Hoof ‘n’ Horn for their upcoming musical on Oct. 8, $4,204 to KAjok for a celebration of their first birthday on Sep. 30 and $430 to the Undergraduate Environmental Union to cover travel, lodging and food for a guest speaker at a UEU-run house course. 

Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “DSG senators approve updated K-Ville policies, present new ‘Blue Devil Bridges’ alumni connection program” on social media.