Duke football 2023 positional preview: Special teams

Sophomore kicker Todd Pelino will be a key component of Duke's special teams unit this year.

As the 2023 season rapidly approaches, the Blue Zone takes a look at each of the eight major position groups on this Duke roster: Specialists, defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, defensive backs, receivers, running backs and quarterbacks:

Key players lost: Jackson Hubbard, Evan Deckers

The Blue Devils return most of the core pieces of a 2022 special teams squad that was fourth in the ACC in punting and kickoffs averages and led the league in yards per punt return, but they lose two veterans in long snapper Evan Deckers and holder Jackson Hubbard. 

Projected starters: Porter Wilson, Todd Pelino, Charlie Ham, Cooper Curtis, Jalon Calhoun, Jaylen Stinson

Duke’s special teams units should largely remain unchanged from a year ago. Similar to a year ago, kick returner Jaylen Stinson is the name to watch. He averaged 25.3 yards per return, good for second in the conference, and earned himself Honorable Mention All-ACC honors for the second year in a row. He will look to build on his already impressive numbers in his senior year. Elsewhere, the biggest change comes at kicker, with Todd Pelino and Charlie Ham splitting duties. Pelino will handle field goals and Ham will take kickoffs. Pelino took on this role in the middle of the 2022 season and never looked back, converting all 23 of his extra point attempts and going 8-for-9 on field goals. His single miss came on a 45-yard attempt that would have been his career long at the time. Look for the two to continue splitting kicking duties throughout the season. Junior Curtis Cooper is elevated into the starting role at long snapper following the departure of graduate Evan Deckers. While Cooper has not seen game action yet, he has spent two years as the backup behind John Taylor in 2021 and Deckers in 2022. Senior Jalon Calhoun returns as the starting punt returner after returning nine punts for 113 yards in 2022. If the Duke defense can continue to force opponents to punt, look for him to feature in a bigger way.

Dark horse: Sahmir Hagans

Though Hagans had some flashes as a punt returner in 2022, he made way for Calhoun this year. Last season, he posted four returns for 146 yards, most notably an 81 yard return for a touchdown. Hagans may return to punt returning duties if the circumstances call for it, and he has the experience to be ready.  

Morgan Chu | Photography Editor

Morgan Chu is a Trinity junior and a photography editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2023 positional preview: Special teams” on social media.