Duke football 2023 positional preview: Linebackers

Former team captain Shaka Heyward will leave a massive hole on the Duke defense.

As the 2023 season rapidly approaches, the Blue Zone takes a look at each of the eight major position groups on this Duke roster: Specialists, defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, defensive backs, receivers, running backs and quarterbacks:

Duke’s defense improved in a major way in Mike Elko’s first year as head coach, going from allowing 39.75 points per game in 2021 to 22.1 in 2022, good for fifth-best in the ACC. With Duke’s core of linebackers proving valuable to this improvement, it makes sense that much of the position remains unchanged heading into Elko’s second season, with one notable exception.

Key player lost: Shaka Heyward

As Duke’s de facto leader on defense in 2022, Shaka Heyward played well in his final season, registering 93 tackles, 6.0 tackles for a loss and four takeaways. The Blue Devils’ reigning defensive MVP was essential in Duke’s defensive resurgence, playing in every game except for the Military Bowl. With the Dacula, Ga., native now playing professionally for the Cincinnati Bengals, his departure requires the rest of Duke’s linebackers to step up this season.

Projected starters: Cam Dillon, Dorian Mausi

Graduate student Cam Dillon will help to lead Duke’s linebacking corps in the wake of Heyward’s departure. After transferring from Columbia, Dillon made an immediate impact in 2022, earning 61 tackles and 3.0 sacks. In particular, Dillon was critical to the Blue Devils’ victory at the Military Bowl versus UCF, notching 2.0 sacks and 2.0 tackles for loss. While Dillon may not be quite the linebacker Heyward was in terms of ability, his presence as a veteran leader on defense can help the Blue Devils recapture their defensive prestige this season.

Duke’s other starting linebacker will most likely be senior Dorian Mausi, who had to compete with Dillon for his starting spot in 2022. Mausi garnered 44 tackles last season, including nine in Duke’s win versus Northwestern. In total, the Detroit native played 454 snaps, well below Dillon’s count. With Heyward gone, Mausi’s playing time is likely secure for now, and he will be expected to be a key cog in the Blue Devils’ front six. 

Dark Horse: Nick Morris Jr.

Dillon and Mausi are the obvious go-to starters, but other linebackers on the team stand to make an impact for the Blue Devils, including redshirt sophomore Nick Morris Jr. The Fairfield, Conn., native played six games in 2022, totaling 13 tackles and 121 snaps. Projected as a backup behind Mausi, Morris Jr. should see an uptick in production when Dillon or Mausi are off the field or if they miss time. As a 6-foot-3, 231-pound linebacker, Morris Jr. has the physical tools to be a breakout candidate for the Blue Devils this season. With fellow redshirt sophomore Tre Freeman, Morris Jr. can help lead the next generation of Blue Devil defenders.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2023 positional preview: Linebackers” on social media.