Duke football 2023 positional preview: Receivers & tight ends

Calhoun returns for his fifth season after being the leading receiver a season ago.

With the 2023 season on the horizon, the Blue Zone breaks down each of the eight major position groups for this Duke squad: Specialists, defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, defensive backs, receivers, running backs and quarterbacks:

Key players lost: Eli Pancol

While almost the entire starting group will be returning for the 2023 season, one name that will be missing from the Week 1 depth chart will be Pancol’s. The graduate receiver will be out for what head coach Mike Elko says will be "the majority if not all of his senior season." The loss of Pancol will sting, as he put up 23 receptions for 247 yards in 2022, including an 81-yard play against Northwestern. Without Pancol, the receiving corps will still be solid, but they lack some of the depth that a seasoned veteran like him can provide.

Projected Starters: Jalon Calhoun, Jordan Moore, Sahmir Hagans, Nicky Dalmolin

Even lacking Pancol, this will be a strong group of receivers for junior quarterback Riley Leonard to work with. Leading the pack is Calhoun, a redshirt senior who totaled 62 receptions for 873 yards and four touchdowns in the 2022 campaign. The preseason all-ACC recipient has been on a steady upward trend since his debut in 2019, so look for him to have an even larger offensive impact in the upcoming season. 

The starting group will be rounded out by sophomore Sahmir Hagans and junior Jordan Moore, both of whom will be looking to build on good numbers last year to become truly potent offensive weapons. 

Moore had an excellent year in his first year at the position — putting up 60 receptions, 656 receiving yards and five touchdowns. Look for him to be another key option for Leonard every time the quarterback scans the field. 

Hagans, a redshirt sophomore and the likely third starter, saw action in all 13 games last year and was a scorer both on offense and special teams. He took the ball to the end zone as a receiver five times, and also brought a punt return to the house for an 81-yard score. This year, he will be looking to expand on his role in the offense and improve upon a 400-yard receiving season. 

Dalmolin returns as the starting tight end after hauling in 21 receptions for 170 yards and reaching the end zone four times. The 6-foot-4 senior brings stability and a blocking presence to the position after steadily improving his production in each of his first three seasons. 

Dark Horse: Jontavis Robertson

Robertson, who was one of a few rotating kick returners last year, has the chance to maybe see some more receiving action as a senior. He posted a modest 191 receiving yards last year, along with six kick returns for a total of 130 yards. If one of the starters goes down this year, Robertson’s name will be one of the first called to fill vacant spots. 

Share and discuss “Duke football 2023 positional preview: Receivers & tight ends ” on social media.