Duke football 2023 positional preview: Defensive line

DeWayne Carter will be the centerpiece of a returning defensive line unit.

With the 2023 season on the horizon, the Blue Zone breaks down each of the eight major position groups for this Duke squad: Specialists, defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, defensive backs, receivers, running backs and quarterbacks:

It all starts up front. Other teams may have impressive weapons in their arsenal, but none of that matters if you are hit before you can fire them off.

In the age of dazzling offenses, a competent defensive line is more important than ever. Luckily, the defensive trench play this year for the Blue Devils should be more than adequate. In its first year under head coach Mike Elko, Duke’s defense improved dramatically, a major reason why they went from being an ACC bottom feeder to winning the Military Bowl in just a year’s time. Roster turnover will be a non-factor this upcoming season, and the bigger challenge for the defensive line will be adjusting to a new scheme as defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci begins his first year in Durham. 

Projected Starters: Vincent Anthony Jr., DeWayne Carter, Ja’mion Franklin, R.J. Oben

The Blue Devils’ defensive line shockingly endured the entire offseason without losing any key pieces, and the starting unit from last season will all return for another season in Durham. It would be less impressive if Duke rolled with an inexperienced line unit last year, but the Blue Devils will trot out three guys who have played more than four years of college football. 

DeWayne Carter is the most high profile name on this unit. The redshirt senior has been a staple on the defensive line the last three years and will be expected to produce at a high level once again. The Pickerington, Ohio native was recently named the first-ever three-time captain in program history, and honors have flooded in from external sources as well. Carter was tabbed to the preseason All-ACC First Team and is the presumed favorite to win the team’s Defensive Lineman of the Year Award for the third straight year.

Ja’Mion Franklin is the other elder statesman at defensive tackle, returning for his sixth year of college football and third in Durham after spending the first half of his career at Notre Dame. The graduate student is also a team captain, giving Duke a steady presence at the defensive tackle spots. Franklin accounted for 26 tackles and three sacks in 2022, so a sizable contribution should be expected once again. 

R.J. Oben is the third veteran to man a starting role on the first level of the defense, as the redshirt senior is one of two starting edge rushers for Elko’s defense. The Montclair, N.J., native has been one of the Blue Devils’ top producers in the sack column the last two seasons, racking up 9.5 total over the previous two campaigns. In 2022, Oben led Duke in QB pressures and was second in forced fumbles, making him a pass rush weapon that Santucci will be glad to have in his first season. 

Vincent Anthony Jr. is the young gun on the starting unit, as the Durham native returns for his sophomore campaign. As a freshman, Anthony started 12 games, tallying 28 tackles and three QB pressures. The edge rusher’s best game of the season came in the Military Bowl, where he had a career high four tackles against UCF. If the momentum from that final game can carry over into the 2023 season, Anthony Jr. could be in for a breakout year. 

Dark Horse: Wesley Williams

Outside of the starting unit, Williams has received the highest praise during the offseason. The redshirt freshman only played in one contest last season, seeing 12 snaps on the field. The work the redshirt freshman put in behind closed doors, however, seems to have borne its fruit. The Gainesville, Va., native received the team’s Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year Award last season and has impressed the coaching staff over the summer and into the fall. Who knows how much Williams will play due to the immense experience in front of him, but he figures to be a major piece in the future at the very least. 

Share and discuss “Duke football 2023 positional preview: Defensive line” on social media.