Duke among country’s top workplaces for women, diversity in Forbes and Newsweek rankings

<p>Davison Building.</p>

Davison Building.

Duke is among the country’s best workplaces for women and diversity in several rankings released this year, including a Forbes ranking released Tuesday.

Using a survey of 60,000 employees, the Forbes America’s Best Employers for Women ranking placed the Duke University Health System 73rd and the University 105th out of 400 listed workplaces. 

Employees evaluated their employers on aspects such as working conditions, salary, diversity, atmosphere and development, parental leave and family support.

“This achievement reflects our unwavering commitment to creating an inclusive and empowering work environment for all,” said Antwan Lofton, vice president for human resources. “We firmly believe that an organization’s true success lies in the happiness and development of its employees.”

Duke was also awarded four out of five stars in the “Equality Score” category in Newsweek’s America’s Great Workplaces for Women ranking earlier this year. 

A recent expansion in the University’s parental leave policy, improved access to on-campus lactation spaces and an increase in the number of women occupying leadership positions may have contributed to the rankings. 

Earlier this month, Newsweek also included Duke in its America’s Great Workplaces ranking, which is based on a national survey of around 62,000 employers asked about workplace environment, career development, benefits and more. Newsweek gave the University four and a half out of five stars. The University was one of eight higher education institutions to make the list. 

The introduction of personal benefits statements for full-time faculty and staff employed since December 2022 and the recent expansion of the employee tuition assistance program are possible reasons for the University’s inclusion on the list. 

Another Newsweek ranking released in January also featured Duke, which was awarded five out of five stars for its “Diversity Score.” The America’s Greatest Workplaces for Diversity ranking was based on a review of publicly available data, an anonymous online survey of a diverse range of employees and interviews with HR professionals. Survey respondents were asked questions about their working environment and corporate culture. 

“Creating a climate where employees in both the academic and health care setting to come to work as their whole selves allows them to do their jobs while taking pride in who they are, their culture and where they come from while also being a part of Duke,” Lofton said at the time.

Ishani Raha profile
Ishani Raha | Senior Editor

Ishani Raha is a Pratt junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke among country’s top workplaces for women, diversity in Forbes and Newsweek rankings” on social media.