School of Medicine Dean Mary Klotman appointed first EVP for health affairs

Mary Klotman, dean of the School of Medicine, will be Duke’s first executive vice president for health affairs starting July 1, according to a Friday release from President Vincent Price. 

Duke Health has undergone a restructuring of its leadership model, according to Price’s release. It has created two positions which will oversee the health system’s academic mission and clinical enterprise, respectively, instead of one position that leads both aspects. Klotman will now “oversee Duke Health’s academic mission,” according to Price.

Klotman will serve alongside new Duke Health CEO Craig Albanese, who will oversee the health system’s clinical enterprise. In her role, Klotman will be “responsible for strategic, academic and budgetary oversight and authority for the School of Medicine and its affiliated academic institutes and programs,” according to Price.

She will also lead Duke-NUS Medical School, a collaboration based in Singapore with the National University of Singapore, and relevant interdisciplinary centers such as the Duke Global Health Institute and the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy. 

“Mary is an exceptional physician-scientist, leader, and colleague who is deeply committed to advancing biomedical science and human health through education, research and patient care,” Price wrote in the release. “As Dean, she has overseen advancements in research, teaching, and administration that have propelled the School of Medicine to new levels of national recognition and research activity.”

Klotman will continue to serve as dean of the School of Medicine while taking on her new role.

A. Eugene Washington serves at the helm of Duke Health as chancellor for health affairs and president and chief executive officer, a role that consolidated these two positions. Washington is set to step down from his position at the end of June.

“This new leadership structure will help position Duke for success in the face of the challenging landscape for academic medical centers, including the changing healthcare marketplace, the need for more efficient and effective patient care models, and the ongoing imperative to support high quality medical research,” Price wrote. “The health system and University governing boards will regularly monitor the effectiveness of this new leadership structure.”

Adway S. Wadekar profile
Adway S. Wadekar | News Editor

Adway S. Wadekar is a Trinity junior and former news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “School of Medicine Dean Mary Klotman appointed first EVP for health affairs ” on social media.