The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating Juneteenth in the Triangle

<p>Sculpture by Adrienne Rison Isom and Eddie Dixon commemorating the General order ending slavery in 1865 in Austin, Texas. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.</p>

Sculpture by Adrienne Rison Isom and Eddie Dixon commemorating the General order ending slavery in 1865 in Austin, Texas. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

On June 19, 1865, federal troops arrived in Galveston, Texas to proclaim the emancipation of slaves in Texas, over two years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. This week, the Triangle area will celebrate Juneteenth, now recognized as a federal holiday, with festivals, tours, fashion shows and more. 

The 18th Annual North Carolina Juneteenth Celebration

The 18th Annual North Carolina Juneteenth Celebration is a two-day event on Saturday, June 17 from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday, June 18 from noon to 6 p.m. at Golden Belt Campus. The festival will include a presentation by the United States Colored Troops, local artists and performers, a fashion show and vendors selling African and African American clothing, art and food. Admission is free and open to all. 

The Raleigh Juneteenth Festival

The Raleigh Juneteenth Festival will host a series of events starting on Friday, June 16 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. with a career fair connecting attendees with local businesses and organizations. The event will be hosted at the Barwell Road Community Center and is free with registration. 

On Saturday, a festival will be held at the Barwell Road Community Center from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. featuring 100 Black-owned businesses in the Black Wall Street showcase, soul food from vendors and a series of workshops led by community leaders and entrepreneurs. The festival is also free with registration.

The Raleigh Juneteenth Festival will close out on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with a Juneteenth networking brunch featuring panelists, local businesses and mimosas. Tickets start at $20.

Historic Raleigh Trolley Tour at Mordecai Historic Park

Celebrate Juneteenth by going for a narrated trolley tour to learn about Raleigh’s Black history. For $10, participants can learn about historic homes, schools, churches and businesses that are important to Raleigh’s African American history. Tours will be on Saturday, June 17 at select times and leave from Mordecai Historic Park. 

Party in the Park: A Celebration of Juneteenth

Research Triangle Park will also host Party in the Park: A Celebration of Juneteenth on Monday, June 19 from noon to 2 p.m. at The Experience Center. This will be a free outdoor event live music, food trucks and yard games. Must-read books by Black authors will also be passed out while supplies last.

The Hayti Neighborhood Juneteenth Celebration 

The Hayti Heritage Center will host the Hayti Neighborhood Juneteenth Celebration on Friday, June 16 from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. The event will be free and open to all. The celebration will take place at 1308 Fayetteville St. and include a live concert, food trucks, DJs and an artwalk.

Kerria Weaver profile
Kerria Weaver | Associate News Editor

Kerria Weaver is a second-year master’s student in the Graduate Liberal Studies program and an associate news editor of The Chronicle’s 119th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating Juneteenth in the Triangle” on social media.