Sportswrap: Men's tennis advances to Sweet 16, women's tennis falls at the death to UCLA

Duke men's tennis made short work of its opening two opponents in the NCAA tournament, securing a place in the last 16.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of May 1-7.

Men’s tennis

No. 12-seed Duke is headed to the Sweet 16 after a successful weekend at home. In the first round of the NCAA tournament, the Blue Devils (22-6, 11-1 in the ACC) took care of UNC Wilmington 4-2, even after dropping the doubles point. Garrett Johns, Pedro Rodenas, Andrew Zhang and Jake Krug were all victorious to clinch the match. On Sunday, Duke defeated Cornell 4-1 in the second round to complete the regional. After winning the doubles point, Rodenas, Andrew Dale and Faris Khan won in singles. Next up for the Blue Devils is a Saturday afternoon date at No. 5-seed Virginia, the team who defeated Duke in the ACC title game. -Ranjan Jindal

Women’s tennis

After a sweep of William and Mary in the first round of the team NCAA tournament Friday, No. 6-seed Duke fell 4-3 in a heartbreaking loss to UCLA. The match came down to Iuliia Brzygalova who fell 7-6, 7-6, with both sets going to tiebreakers. Team play is over for the Blue Devils (23-5, 11-2) after their loss in the second round, but Chloe Beck, Georgia Drummy and Emma Jackson will compete in the NCAA Singles Championship starting May 22 in Orlando, Fla. -Anna Newberry

Men’s lacrosse

Now, eyes turn to Philadelphia. No. 1 Duke was rewarded for its spectacular season during Sunday night’s selection show, earning the overall No. 1-seed in the NCAA tournament. Hours prior, though, the Blue Devils (13-2, 5-1) comfortably downed Merrimack on Long Island 14-2 behind nine total points from junior attacker Brennan O’Neill and senior attacker Dyson Williams’ four goals. Duke kicks off its postseason journey starting Sunday at 5 p.m. in Durham against the winner of Delaware and Marist. -Andrew Long

Baseball

While the ninth-ranked Blue Devils had the weekend off from ACC play, they hosted Longwood for a single game Sunday afternoon. The squad from Durham struggled early in the game, coming into the eighth inning down 9-4 to the Lancers. Once again, Duke (32-13, 14-9) proved its resilience late in the game, rallying with a nine-run eighth inning to come out with a 13-9 victory. The Blue Devils will host Rider in the midweek with games Tuesday and Wednesday, before returning to conference play with a weekend series against Georgia Tech. -Martin Heintzelman

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Men's tennis advances to Sweet 16, women's tennis falls at the death to UCLA” on social media.