How many students are appealing their QuadEx quad connections?

Under Duke’s new residential housing system, rising sophomores are required to live in their linked West Campus quad and choose roommates and blockmates from the same quad. But for those who may not have found community in their East Campus quad, Duke offers the option to complete an appeal request to switch to a different quad. 

Rising sophomores had to appeal their quad connection in late January for the 2023-24 academic year. 

In the request, students must provide a “thorough explanation” and a “valid reason” for why they don't want to live within their assigned quad. If a student has a preferred roommate, both the student and their roommate must submit an appeal request.

Thirty first-years — or 1.7% of the 1738 members of the Class of 2026 — submitted appeals for Fall 2023 housing, all of which were approved, according to Deb LoBiondo, housing and residence life dean. Last year’s numbers are similar, with 29 appeals and only one not approved. 

“Most appeals referenced a desire to live with a close friend who was connected to a different quad,” LoBiondo wrote.

Sophomore Catherine Esrey wrote that her decision to appeal was based on "where my community was and it was outside of QuadEx." 

“I made the decision to appeal despite the fact that the dorm I was originally supposed to go to was ‘nicer,” Esrey wrote. “You cannot force community and bonding. Ultimately, people will find their community where they find it and it may not be within their quad and that should be okay."

Some students who appealed their quad connection switched into a new quad with their preferred roommate, while others switched alone to find a roommate within their new quad. 

If an appeal is granted, a student and their preferred roommate are assigned the same new Quad and have the ability to form a block with students who are in their new quad. 

If an appeal is not granted, the student and their preferred roommate must follow the general assignment process within their originally assigned quad.

“I told Duke that my current quad pairing does not feel like my community,” wrote first-year Sylvia Jacoby. “I love the idea of QuadEx, but I found my QuadEx in another quad.” 

Katie Tan contributed reporting.

Audrey Patterson profile
Audrey Patterson | Local and National News Editor

Audrey Patterson is a Trinity sophomore and local and national news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “How many students are appealing their QuadEx quad connections?” on social media.