Durham Police say case is still ‘active investigation’ that ‘has not been unfounded’

<p>Durham Police Department's former building.&nbsp;</p>

Durham Police Department's former building. 

Durham Police say it is still investigating the case of Monday’s on-campus, strong-armed robbery and told The Chronicle Wednesday that “it has not been unfounded.” 

The Chronicle reached out to Police Chief Patrice Andrews and Shari Montgomery, deputy chief of investigative services, by email Tuesday, and received a response from Durham PD Media. 

“This case is still an active investigation ... Investigators are still actively working on leads,” Durham Police Department Media wrote in a Wednesday email to The Chronicle. 

On Wednesday morning, DUPD Chief Dailey wrote to The Chronicle, "The robbery and theft are unfounded. Still work to be done with the situation."

"We are working with the actual investigator. The robbery and the theft are unfounded; the investigation into the matter continues," Dailey wrote in a follow-up email. 

Dailey did not answer the question of what steps were taken in Duke’s investigation to determine the report “unfounded.” 

A first DukeAlert was sent to the Duke community Tuesday reporting an on-campus, strong-armed robbery of a graduate student on Pettigrew Street near the Center for Documentary Studies. The suspect did not display a weapon and took the victim’s car, the first DukeAlert read. It was reported to Durham PD 5 p.m. Monday. 

The initial DukeAlert also included a description of the suspect as “a male, medium-dark skin tone, late 20’s, dreadlocks with a black bandana, black hoodie and blue jeans.” 

But a second DukeAlert later that afternoon wrote that Campus Police worked with Durham investigators to determine the report “unfounded.”

“There was no robbery or theft,” the second DukeAlert read. 

Durham PD does not monitor or control DukeAlerts, according to Durham PD Media's email to The Chronicle, and referred further questions to the Duke University Police Department. 

DukeAlerts are sent to students, faculty and staff in compliance with the Clery Act. 

“The information in this message has not been verified by law enforcement authorities and may change as a result of further investigation,” the initial DukeAlert read. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Editor's Note: This story was updated Wednesday at 10 a.m. and then 10:11 a.m. to include DUPD Chief Dailey's comments. 

Katie Tan contributed reporting.

Milla Surjadi profile
Milla Surjadi | Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and a diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Durham Police say case is still ‘active investigation’ that ‘has not been unfounded’” on social media.