The independent news organization of Duke University

Report: Duke men's basketball to face Iowa in 2022 Jimmy V Classic

Duke will reportedly take on Iowa in December at Madison Square Garden.

Another high-profile nonconference matchup for the Blue Devils is taking shape.

Duke will face Iowa in the 2022 Jimmy V Classic, CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein reported Friday afternoon via College Hoops Today. Rothstein previously reported in February that Duke and Texas would be among the four-team field at the Dec. 6 event in New York's Madison Square Garden.

On the other side of the event, Stadium's Jeff Goodman reported later Friday afternoon that the Longhorns will face Illinois. No official announcement has been made as to any of the event's participants or matchups just yet.

Iowa caught fire late in the recently completed 2021-22 season, winning the Big Ten tournament and earning a No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament before falling in a first-round upset to No. 12-seed Richmond. 

Duke last participated in the annual Jimmy V Classic in 2016, then defeating No. 21 Florida. The Blue Devils are 3-0 all-time at the event, with a pair of wins against Kentucky in 1998 and 2001 at Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford, N.J.

The Blue Devils are expected to compete in a slew of similarly distinguished events in their 2022-23 nonconference slate, including a Nov. 15 matchup at the Champions Classic against defending national champion Kansas and November's PK85 event in Portland, Ore. The Jimmy V Classic, however, looks to be Duke's only trip to Madison Square Garden in head coach Jon Scheyer's first year at the helm and the team's first time back to the stadium since defeating Kentucky in its 2021-22 debut.

This is a developing story and was last updated Friday at 4:45 p.m. following Goodman's report of the matchup between Texas and Illinois.

Jonathan Levitan | Sports Editor

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Report: Duke men's basketball to face Iowa in 2022 Jimmy V Classic” on social media.