Duke men's basketball to face Iowa in 2022 Jimmy V Classic

Duke will reportedly take on Iowa in December at Madison Square Garden.

Another high-profile nonconference matchup for the Blue Devils is now official.

Duke will face Iowa in the 2022 Jimmy V Classic, ESPN Events announced July 14. CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein first reported the matchup in June after previously reporting that Duke and Texas would be among the four-team field at the Dec. 6 event in New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Jimmy V Classic is a staple of the college basketball season, and Duke is honored to be a part of it once again," head coach Jon Scheyer said in a team release. "Jim Valvano meant so much to college basketball and his legacy endures with these events that assist the V Foundation in its fight against cancer. We're excited for the opportunity to play Iowa at MSG. They've had such a consistently strong program under Fran McCaffery and this will be a great test for us."

On the other side of the event, the Longhorns will face Illinois. The women's field also features two matchups Dec. 4, with Notre Dame hosting Connecticut and Virginia Tech visiting Tennessee.

Iowa caught fire late in the 2021-22 season, winning the Big Ten tournament and earning a No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament before falling in a first-round upset to No. 12-seed Richmond. 

Duke last participated in the annual Jimmy V Classic in 2016, then defeating No. 21 Florida. The Blue Devils are 3-0 all-time at the event, with a pair of wins against Kentucky in 1998 and 2001 at Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford, N.J.

The Blue Devils are expected to compete in a slew of similarly distinguished events in their 2022-23 nonconference slate, including a Nov. 15 matchup at the Champions Classic against defending national champion Kansas and November's PK85 event in Portland, Ore. The Jimmy V Classic, however, looks to be Duke's only trip to Madison Square Garden in head coach Jon Scheyer's first year at the helm and the team's first time back to the stadium since defeating Kentucky in its 2021-22 debut.

This story was updated July 14 following ESPN Events' announcement of the Jimmy V Classic.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball to face Iowa in 2022 Jimmy V Classic” on social media.