Duke loosens aspects of Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy, reverses previous policy banning all kegs

<p>&nbsp;</p>

Duke has loosened some aspects of its Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy, according to a Sunday email from the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Licensed kegs obtained from a brewery or ABC store will now be allowed in the common spaces of residence halls on West Campus and other spaces reserved for events involving alcohol. Other common source containers such as punch bowls, coolers or garbage bins must be authorized by the University first.

This is a reversal of previous policy that banned all kegs and common source containers in public or private spaces. Duke last permitted University-registered kegs in the early 2000s, a policy that was removed after a student died from excessive drinking. In 1998, administrators estimated there were about 78 keg parties per semester.

Gatherings with 25 or more guests where alcohol is present must be registered by the host, and attendees must follow the Guidelines for Events Involving Alcohol, which will be released by April 4, according to the email. Hard liquor and spirits are prohibited except where a licensed bartender is present.

Consistent with previous policy, students must be 21 or older to consume or possess alcohol on West Campus, and alcohol is prohibited on East Campus regardless of age.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Duke loosens aspects of Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy, reverses previous policy banning all kegs” on social media.