Duke in the NFL: Jones out for season, Carter returns to starting lineup

The New York Giants placed starting quarterback Daniel Jones on injured reserve Monday, officially ending his season.

With the regular season closing in on its exciting conclusion, the Blue Zone is back to keep you up to date on how former Blue Devils fared in another week of NFL action:

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants

Bad news came for the Giants this week, as starting quarterback Daniel Jones was officially placed on injured reserve Monday, guaranteeing his absence for the remainder of the season. While Jones is still struggling to recover from a neck injury sustained early in New York's Week 12 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Giants and head coach Joe Judge are confident that it is not a long-term injury and that surgery is not an option. 

The injury cuts short an important season for the third-year quarterback, as the Giants will have to decide whether to exercise the fifth-year option on Jones' rookie contract this offseason. The Duke product's stint on injured reserve may also bring up concerns about his durability, as the quarterback has now missed time in each of his first three seasons due to injury: Jones struggled with hamstring and ankle woes in the 2020 season and a high ankle sprain in 2019.

Michael Carter II, CB, New York Jets

Cornerback Michael Carter II faced a significant challenge in Sunday's matchup against the Miami Dolphins, as quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has been on a hot streak for the past three weeks, completing an excellent 80% of his passes with five touchdowns in that time. The rookie Carter, back in the lineup after missing Week 14 due to a concussion, did not falter—he played 87% of the snaps and recorded five total tackles, three being solo tackles. He and the rest of the Jets' secondary stifled the Dolphins' passing attack, holding Tagovailoa to a lowly 59% completion rate, 196 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. Fellow cornerback Brandin Echols also gave credit to Carter for his own first career pick-six, stating that the pre-snap call that led him to the interception was actually Carter's.

Jamison Crowder, WR, New York Jets

With fellow receivers Elijah Moore and Corey Davis ruled out for the season, Jamison Crowder put on a solid performance for the Jets against Miami. The veteran slot receiver led the Jets' offense in all receiving categories, with eight targets and five receptions for 40 yards, although he had zero touchdowns. Still, the Jets fell short and lost to the Dolphins, 31-24. 

Alyssa Ting | Photography Editor

Alyssa Ting is a Trinity junior and a photography editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Jones out for season, Carter returns to starting lineup” on social media.