Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer upsets Florida State, men's soccer ties Notre Dame

Senior Tess Boade knocked in the lone goal for the Blue Devils to beat Florida State.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of Oct. 18-24.

Women’s soccer

No. 6 Duke blitzed No. 1 Florida State from kickoff to final buzzer, taking home a 1-0 victory for arguably the biggest ACC win in Blue Devil history. The visiting Seminoles hadn't lost to Duke (12-2-1, 6-2-1 in the ACC) since 2017, and despite arguably their most talented roster ever, never looked comfortable. That marked the Blue Devils' second conference win of the week after they bested No. 15 Notre Dame in overtime Thursday. Duke clinches a home game in the ACC tournament with a Thursday win against Louisville and could get a first-round bye if Virginia beats Florida State that night too. -Em Adler

Men’s soccer 

No. 18 Duke drew a hard-fought battle that stretched over two overtimes against No. 20 Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., Friday night. Thorleifur Ulfarsson struck first for the Blue Devils (10-3-1, 4-2-1) in the 8th minute, with the Fighting Irish leveling the score early in the second half. Duke nabbed a nonconference win earlier in the week against Furman, and the Blue Devils have their final game of the regular season Friday against Virginia before the ACC tournament runs from Nov. 4-14. -Cameron DeChurch

Field hockey 

The Blue Devils split the weekend with a win and a loss, leaving the team with a lopsdied record on the season. On Friday night, Duke (6-10, 0-6) traveled to Massachusetts and fell in a 3-1 defeat against Boston College, making it Duke’s fifth loss in the last six games. The Blue Devils were able to bounce back with a 3-0 shutout victory against Boston University Sunday afternoon, holding the Terriers to just three shots in the final regular season matchup. With the ACC tournament starting Nov. 3, Duke will be in action next in a scrimmage against North Carolina Oct. 31 to prepare for the postseason. -Matthew Hawkins

Volleyball 

Duke hit the road this weekend to compete in two ACC matches, falling in straight sets to both North Carolina and N.C. State. Once again, the team was led offensively by Ade Owokoniran who tallied 15 kills over the weekend. The Blue Devils (12-9, 3-7) put up a fight on the net, registering a season high of 20 blocks in their battle against North Carolina. Sophomore Georgia Stavrinides showed up big time this weekend, putting up 11 total blocks and hammering 14 kills. The squad’s difficulty preventing the other side of the net from going on runs ultimately cost them the matches despite the impressive individual performances. The Blue Devils take the court again in Cameron Indoor Friday to play Notre Dame. -Elena Karas

Swimming and diving

The Blue Devils kicked off their 2021-22 season in grand fashion, taking on a skilled Virginia Tech squad. The No. 24 Duke women knocked off the 18th-ranked Hokies on their side, although the men were unable to follow suit and dropped their meet. It was an all around strong showing on the women's side, but freshman Yixuan Chang especially impressed with her three first-place marks in the 200, 500 and 100-yard freestyle. Sophomore speedster Sarah Foley started off strong too, winning the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke. Next is the team's first home meet of the season against Boston College and UNC-Wilmington.  -Jake Piazza

Football and cross country did not compete this week. Football travels to Winston-Salem, N.C., to play Wake Forest Saturday and cross country competes in the ACC championship Oct. 29.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer upsets Florida State, men's soccer ties Notre Dame” on social media.