Duke women's basketball 2021-22 player preview: Lee Volker

One of two freshmen on the roster, it is unclear how Volker will fit in to the lineup this season.

With the college basketball season just around the corner, the time has officially come to take a deeper look at the 2021-22 Duke women's basketball roster. The Blue Zone has you covered with player previews for each member of the team. Be sure to check out the previous previews: Jiselle Havas and Emma Schmidt.

Lee Volker

Year: Freshman 

Height: 5-foot-11

Position: Guard

Last year’s statline: N/A

Game breakdown: As one of only two recruits from the class of 2021, Volker has fans on the edge of their seats, eager to see what she will bring to the squad in her next four years. While it often seems that rookies have little to no control over a program’s performance, the Virginia native will certainly leave a mark if her game continues to be as impactful as it has been thus far. 

Volker was a standout throughout her high school career, racking up three All-State titles as well as WCAC Co-Player of the Year, All-WCAC First Team and VISSA Division I First Team All-State in the 2020 season. She helped lead Paul VI to back-to-back state championships her sophomore and junior year, aiding the program in their top ten national ranking in the 2019-2020 season. In that season, the tall guard hit 49.2% from the floor including 42.5% at the 3-point line.

While we’re not able to find statistics on her 2021 season and we may have to wait for the freshman to hit Cameron Indoor to truly understand how she plays, film from her junior year with the Paul VI squad hints at her game. She is consistent offensively, and while she doesn’t necessarily promise to be the leading scorer in a given game, her reliable mid-range and 3-point strokes are a threat against strong competitors. Volker has no trouble passing defenses in transition or in the paint, which when combined with her incredible court vision makes for a dangerous offense. Defensively, Volker is a force, with her speed and tenacity proving to be very effective in protecting the rim. 

Role on the team: Volker’s consistency and well-rounded game makes it difficult to predict exactly where she’ll fit into the Duke squad. It’s important to note that while Duke’s 2020-2021 campaign concluded in December after only four games, Volker and other freshman Shayeann Day-Wilson are coming straight off full seasons, giving the newcomers a leg up as the Blue Devils edge into game play. 

Volker’s versatile game may eventually remind fans of former Duke star Haley Gorecki’s junior year performance when the combo guard became the first Blue Devil to lead the team in points, rebounds and assists. There’s no doubt that Volker has the potential to fill that role later on with her reliable shot, aggressive defense and high basketball IQ.

Projected stats: 0 PPG, 0 RPG, 1.0 MPG

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2021-22 player preview: Lee Volker” on social media.