Duke women's basketball 2021-22 player preview: Emma Schmidt

Emma Schmidt joins the team as a graduate student after playing for TCU as a walk-on.

With the college basketball season just around the corner, the time has officially come to take a deeper look at the 2021-22 Duke women's basketball roster. The Blue Zone has you covered with player previews for each member of the team. Be sure to check out the previous previews: Jiselle Havas.

Emma Schmidt

Year: Graduate

Height: 5-foot-9

Position: Guard

2020-21 statline: 0 PPG, 0.6 RPG, 5 GP (TCU)

Game breakdown:

Emma Schmidt played seven minutes last year. In the time it takes you to read the entirety of this article, you will have spent about a third of the time that Emma Schmidt spent on a live basketball court last year.

Still, that’s seven minutes more than I spent on a live basketball court last year. And considering her forthcoming master's degree in Statistical Science, that’s going to be 11 more semesters studying mathematics than I did. All of which begs the question: What am I doing with my life?

The 2021 All-Big 12 Academic First Team member walked onto the Horned Frogs roster last year after spending three years as a men's basketball student-manager. Schmidt reportedly played in five games for TCU last year, though visual evidence of this is scant. She is, however, apparently one of the greatest rebounders of all time, with her debut season the 51st-best defensive rebounding rate in the Her Hoop Stats era. 

Role on the team:

Juicing team GPA. Adding to the list of All-Academic Blue Devils. Providing in-house analytics. Developing algorithms to optimize players' shooting arcs. Making media members feel worse about their life choices.

The possibilities are truly boundless.

Projected stats: 0 PPG, 0 RPG, 0.1 MPG

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2021-22 player preview: Emma Schmidt” on social media.