Sports world reacts to former Duke men's basketball star JJ Redick’s retirement

JJ Redick announced his retirement from the NBA Tuesday morning.

One of Duke basketball’s brightest stars is calling it a career.

JJ Redick announced his retirement from the NBA Tuesday morning in an episode of his podcast, “The Old Man and the Three,” titled “Retirement.” The 2006 National Player of the Year and the eleventh selection in that summer’s NBA Draft, Redick now steps away as one of the greatest and most influential three-point shooters in the sport’s history. In the 15-year professional’s heartfelt goodbye video, Redick cited a desire to spend more time with his family, his struggles to come to terms with his “own athletic mortality” and his gratitude for those who have guided him through his storied career.

At Duke, Redick cemented himself as one of the top scorers in program history. In his miraculous senior season, the sharpshooting guard broke the school’s single-season scoring record with 964 points (26.8 per game) and set the national mark for career three-pointers with 457. Less than a year after his departure to the NBA, Redick’s jersey became the 13th to hang from the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium. Now, after decades of dedication to the game of basketball at Duke and in the NBA alike, Redick’s peers around the sports world have taken to social media to congratulate him on his retirement.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Sports world reacts to former Duke men's basketball star JJ Redick’s retirement” on social media.