The independent news organization of Duke University

Wilson, Card Gym basketball courts to close indefinitely due to COVID-19 concerns

A policy preventing visiting students from having independent access to recreational facilities like Wilson Gym was recently reversed.

The basketball courts in the Wilson Recreation Center and Card Gym will close indefinitely starting Aug. 28, according to a Thursday email from Duke Recreation & Physical Education. 

“Unfortunately, the lack of adherence to the Duke University policy requiring masks to be worn inside all university buildings has led to this closure,” the email states. 

The University mandated indoor masking on July 30, a policy driven by the increase in COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths in North Carolina due to the Delta variant. 

Duke mandates masks at outdoor events with more than 100 people and “strongly recommends” that masks are worn outdoors otherwise, according to a Thursday morning email to students.

Duke reported 113 positive COVID-19 tests—95 among students and 18 among faculty and staff—from Aug. 16 to 22. The positivity rate was 0.6%. There were 111 active cases as of Aug. 23. 

Durham County entered a state of emergency Aug. 9 due to a spike in county COVID-19 cases. 

Preetha Ramachandran | Senior Editor

Preetha Ramachandran is a Trinity junior and senior editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Wilson, Card Gym basketball courts to close indefinitely due to COVID-19 concerns” on social media.

Trending