Report: Duke men's basketball to take on Villanova in closed doors preseason scrimmage

Coach K and the rest of the coaching staff will get an advanced look at how this year's group fares against top-level competition.

Well, it appears the Blue Devils are taking an unconventional approach to Coach K's final preseason.

Instead of the typical two matchups against Division II squads—with one exhibition featuring the Division II national champion—the Blue Devils will suit up for a closed scrimmage. And according to The News & Observer's Steve Wiseman, Duke's opponent for that scrimmage will be Villanova. The contest is set for Oct. 23 in Washington, D.C. 

Per NCAA rules, Division I preseason scrimmages are unable to be publicized or open to the public, but Krzyzewski alluded to the matchup during a press conference last week. 

“We felt like a scrimmage because we really needed to move along," Krzyzewski said. "This team hasn’t played. So we are going to have a scrimmage the third weekend of October, a closed scrimmage. And that will help us.”

Villanova went 18-7 last season, reaching the Sweet 16 for the seventh time under head coach Jay Wright. The Wildcats, with returners such as Collin Gillespie and Jermaine Samuels, are expected to start the season in the top 10 of the AP Poll.

The two teams last faced off in the 2009 Sweet 16, a game that the Wildcats won 77-54. 

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Report: Duke men's basketball to take on Villanova in closed doors preseason scrimmage ” on social media.