New York Jets pick Duke football's Michael Carter II in 5th round of NFL Draft

Michael Carter II racked up 41 tackles and two interceptions in this past season.

As the old saying goes, speed kills. 

After four years in Durham, Duke’s speedy safety Michael Carter II has been drafted by the New York Jets as the 154th overall pick in the fifth round of the NFL Draft. Carter filled up the stat sheet in his Blue Devil career, especially in the past two seasons, but his draft stock took a considerable jump after he posted a 4.30 40-yard dash time in Duke’s Pro Day. 

Carter’s 5-foot-11 and 190-pound frame projects well as an NFL safety, and he put his leadership skills on display as he helped lead a Duke secondary that suffered from injuries throughout 2020. He flew around the field all season, notably in the Charlotte and Georgia Tech games where he racked up eight and seven tackles, respectively, and added in an interception against the Yellow Jackets. 

With the Jets already having a fairly deep safety room, Carter will have to fight for snaps on the back end. New York was 28th last season in pass defense, though, so new head coach Robert Saleh needs all the help he can get in the secondary.

Carter is the second Blue Devil to hear his name called Saturday, as edge rusher Chris Rumph II was drafted by the Los Angeles Chargers in the fourth round.

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “New York Jets pick Duke football's Michael Carter II in 5th round of NFL Draft” on social media.