Recapping the week in Duke athletics: Men's basketball falls in South Beach, men's tennis sweeps weekend

Andrew Dale, the No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2020, made his debut for Duke men's tennis.

Each week, we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week, and give a brief look ahead.

Men’s basketball

Duke (7-6, 5-4 in the ACC) dropped yet another heartbreaking game this week, this time at Miami, and now is in need of wins immediately if it wants any shot at making the NCAA tournament. But it’s time to put everything else aside because this Saturday night, The Rivalry is restored. Duke and North Carolina will face off for the first time this season in a year in which neither of the two teams are playing particularly well. None of that matters though, because when these programs are on the same court, it’s always electric. -Alex Jackson

Men’s golf

The 25th-ranked Blue Devils scraped it together in tough conditions in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., to finish in a tie for second place in the Sea Best Invitational Monday and Tuesday. Adrien Pendaries was the top individual performer for Duke, as the senior fired three straight rounds of 71 or better to finish at even par for the event. Freshman Ian Siebers, meanwhile, showed clear potential with a final day 69, which gave him enough of a boost to finish tied for eighth on the individual leaderboard. Next up on the agenda is the Seminole Intercollegiate, which starts Feb. 19. -Max Rego

Women’s tennis

No. 10 Duke had a nice win against Furman to bolster its spirits after falling to Georgia Tech last week. The Blue Devils secured the doubles point early, also winning four of their six singles matches en route to the 5-2 victory. Duke (3-1) will get a couple weeks of rest—a result of the loss to the Yellow Jackets, which pushed the Blue Devils out of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships— before taking on Appalachian State Feb. 14. -Campbell Lawson

Men’s tennis

Duke (2-2) faced two nonconference opponents last weekend in Campbell and UNC-Wilmington. The two are staples of the Blue Devils’ annual in-state tune-up circuit, and were predictably handily defeated 7-0 each. More interestingly, freshmen Andrew Dale and Faris Khan made their debuts. Dale transferred over from Princeton this semester and entered this season as the No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2020, while Khan was a top-five recruit before injuring his knee in high school. Each won both of their matches this week, though they’re not expected to be features in the starting lineup, especially with No. 10 Tennessee and No. 19 Kentucky on this weekend’s docket. -Em Adler

Wrestling

Duke (0-3, 0-3) dropped a tough one last Friday, falling 42-3 at the hands of No. 6 Virginia Tech. Despite the defeat, freshman Conor Becker secured his first career win at 174 pounds, the Blue Devils’ lone victory on the night. The team will look to finally get in the win column this Friday against No. 15 Virginia. -Evan Kolin

Swimming & diving

Duke’s swimmers took on North Carolina in Chapel Hill for their final regular season competition. The Blue Devil men fell to the 20th-ranked Tar Heels 219.5-80.5, while the Blue Devil women fell to their 24th-ranked counterparts 190-110. 

Freshman Sarah Foley secured three individual wins for the women in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke in addition to the 200-yard medley, with junior Cabell Whitlow also recording a first-place finish for the women in the 200-yard butterfly. Juniors David Hallaron and Cole Reznick took home first-place finishes for the men, in the 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard medley, respectively. The Blue Devil divers will finish their season against UNC-Wilmington before the team prepares for the ACC Championships beginning Feb. 17. -Kolin

Indoor track & field did not compete this past week after competing at the Hokie Invitational the week prior. A portion of the team is set to return to Blacksburg, Va., this weekend to compete in the Virginia Tech Elite Meet, with the remainder making the short trip to Winston-Salem, N.C., for the Camel City Invitational. Meanwhile, many of Duke’s distance runners will be absent from both those meets as the cross country team resumes its unique season in Tallahassee, Fla., at the FSU XC Winter Classic.

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Recapping the week in Duke athletics: Men's basketball falls in South Beach, men's tennis sweeps weekend” on social media.