Letter: Remembering Raj Mehta, sending love to his family

letter to the editor

This took me by shock, as I imagine it did for everyone who knew Raj. With tears genuinely streaming as I type this, I am reminded how fragile life is, and how often it is those people that we least expect who are suffering the most. Raj was accepted to participate in our DukeEngage Detroit program this summer (although with all the COVID-19 things happening, we haven’t been sure if it is going to take place). Raj was truly one of my favorite students of the 50 that we interviewed; and I was so glad that he was going to be a part of our cohort. He had such a bright smile, kind soul and was full of life. Raj was friends with many of our past participants who considered him a dear friend, and had even spent time with some of them in the city at some point. Raj, you will remain missed by so many in this community and beyond. Sending love to you, your family, your peers, your friends.

Katherine Black is the Senior Program Coordinator for Experiential Programs and Social Innovation in the I&E program.

Editor's note: The Chronicle is accepting letters to the editor remembering Grey and Raj. If you would like to share your thoughts and feelings, please submit letters to chronicleletters@duke.edu. 

Share and discuss “Letter: Remembering Raj Mehta, sending love to his family” on social media.