Duke men's basketball 2019-20 player review: Javin DeLaurier

DeLaurier averaged 3.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game this past season.

Javin DeLaurier

Season breakdown: Despite experiencing slight declines in points, rebounds and minutes, DeLaurier made an imprint on both ends of the floor during his final campaign with the Blue Devils. Offensively, DeLaurier’s prowess as a screener and rebounder helped the Blue Devils create open looks and second chance opportunities, respectively. On the other end of the floor, the senior from Shipman, Va., proved to be an effective communicator and an improved free throw shooter, with his 66.7 percent rate being drastically better than last season. While he still found himself in quick foul trouble too often, DeLaurier was always willing to fight for a loose ball and offered steady leadership to the young Duke team.

From the start of the season, it was clear that DeLaurier’s role in the rotation would be to spell Vernon Carey Jr., as head coach Mike Krzyzewski rarely experimented with lineups that featured both players on the floor. Despite this, the co-captain had multiple impressive performances, primarily a 10-point, six-rebound display on perfect efficiency against then-No. 11 Michigan State. DeLaurier also sank clutch free throws late in the victory against then-No. 8 Florida State, a testament to his marked improvement from the line. Overall, DeLaurier’s improved efficiency, understanding of his role and steady leadership all helped Duke reach 25 victories for the 13th straight season. 

Results relative to expectations: Sure, DeLaurier frustrated Duke fans with his tendency to pick up silly fouls and lose his balance in the lane, but he performed relatively equal to the consensus expectations of the media and the Duke faithful. His overall contributions are unable to be measured by simply glancing at a raw box score, as his communication skills, hustle and clear willingness to mentor Carey all proved invaluable. In light of the co-captain’s final season ending in abrupt fashion, his performance this past year should be viewed as successfully filling the role that Krzyzewski needed him to, especially when considering how the roster was constructed. 

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player reviews. Previous players previewed include Alex O’Connell, Joey Baker and Jack White.

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2019-20 player review: Javin DeLaurier” on social media.