The Chronicle wins college journalism's premier online award at DC Conference

<p>Vol. 114 Editor Bre Bradham and Vol. 114 Managing Editor Ben Leonard with the plaques from the ACP conference.</p>

Vol. 114 Editor Bre Bradham and Vol. 114 Managing Editor Ben Leonard with the plaques from the ACP conference.

The Chronicle won the 2019 Online Pacemaker Award, collegiate journalism's foremost digital award presented by the Associated Collegiate Press. It was also named a print newspaper finalist

Begun in 1927, and considered the Pulitzer Prize of student journalism, the Pacemaker is a journalism award presented annually to U.S. college student publications. There are entries for each category—online, newspaper, yearbook and magazine—which are judged based on coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership, design, photography and graphics, according to the award website.

The Chronicle is one of the 20 college newspapers to win the award for the online category, and one of the 46 newspapers named as finalists for the newspaper category.

Vol. 114 Editor-in-Chief Bre Bradham and Vol. 114 Managing Editor Ben Leonard received the award at the ACP/CMA National College Media Convention in Washington D.C. this past weekend.

“I’m really proud of our whole team and the work that everyone put in last year to help us win this,” Bradham said. “I’m really excited about what this says about our growth as a digital source for news, and I’m so glad to be part of The Chronicle.”

Leonard added that it was an honor to win the awards and that he is proud of everyone’s hard work in producing great print and online content. 

“I’m especially proud that we took home the Pacemaker for online content,” he said. “We’ve done a great job transitioning to a digital-first organization and will continue to go down that road going forward. We couldn’t have done it without Bre Bradham’s strong leadership.”

The Chronicle Vol. 110 also won the online Pacemaker award in 2015

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle wins college journalism's premier online award at DC Conference” on social media.