Three of four suspects arrested for Gilbert-Addoms burglary

Three individuals suspected of a theft in Gilbert-Addoms residence hall were arrested Wednesday afternoon, according to a news release

The suspects were jailed after a tip to the Duke University Police Department led to their arrest near Lilly Library at 3:45 p.m. Wednesday. They were each charged with two counts of larceny and two counts of second-degree burglary. The fourth suspect, a juvenile, was interviewed and released to a parent, according to an update Friday afternoon.

On Monday night, four individuals entered Gilbert-Addoms on East Campus and stole electronics and personal items from two dorm rooms. They gained access to the hall because a student had unlocked the door at one the dorm’s entrances, but the suspects were caught on video as they left the building.

Less than 48 hours later, Ibn Wilbur Ross, Gilbert Dejesus and Jermalley James were arrested for the crime. Ross is from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., while Dejesus and James hail from Durham.

“We talk about safety being a shared responsibility, and we are glad for the cooperation of so many in this effort,” Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh said in the news release. “We are grateful for the tireless work of our officers and investigators to help make this campus safe.”

First-year Jared Andrade told The Chronicle Tuesday that his laptop, AirPods, Beats headphones and Apple Watch were stolen from his room Monday night. However, his roommate’s items were not.

DUPD Assistant Chief James Bjurstrom cautioned students to beware of such crimes in a Tuesday email to The Chronicle.

“Property theft is the most common crime on campus. We tend to see such incidents increase as we approach the holidays,” Bjurstrom wrote. “We encourage all students to lock their dorm rooms and vehicles when away, even for short periods of time.”

Editor's note: This story was updated Sunday afternoon to include information regarding the fourth suspect.

Share and discuss “Three of four suspects arrested for Gilbert-Addoms burglary” on social media.